Low- end hand held belt sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaoticbob

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been done to death - I had a search on the site, but the only things I found were oldish and didn't quite answer my question.

My Bosch PBS 60 (green) has finally given up the ghost (sole plate worn through) and I'm after a replacement. It's one of those tools that I don't use often (I think the PBS 60 has lasted me about 25 years!), but there are occasions where it's just the quickest way forward - so I don't want to spend masses on a replacement which will outlive me.

I've had a look at Screwfix and Axminster sites. I don't think I fancy the really cheap (Energer and Titan) jobs at Screwfix - apart from worries about fit-for-purposeness they are quite heavy. This is a consideration, as t'other half wants to sand some overhead beams, and she won't thank me if I present her with a 4.5kg machine.

It's looking like the Makita 9911 at £100 and 2.6kg might me my best bet - but i'd welcome any info about possible alternatives in this price bracket (say up to 150), or views on the Makita, before I hit the 'buy' button.
Regards, Rob

I have the makita and its a great compact little sander (compared to the big brutes) still has enough oomph to drag you and it across the work piece if your not holding on fully. Would recommend it for the money. Dust bags rubbish so you'll want an extractor and it has a pretty small 1" ish outlet so i use a bit of masking tape to secure the hose.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Another vote for the Makita, compact, powerful and relatively light. I always feel in control which is not something I can say about some of the larger 4" types.

I have run a 4" Ryobi for years without bother. Not got a bad word to say about to be honest but I don't work it day to day but have sanded down a few floors with it.

I have the 9911 and would also thoroughly recommend it. When you say 'sole plate' Rob, do you mean the metal 'wear' plate that the belt runs on? If so these are easily replaced. Even if spares are no longer available for older machines you can usually fashion these particular parts from those for other models. Just a thought - and if you've already 'been there, done that' I apologise ;-)

Paul

+1 for the 9911 too!

On the dust extraction thing: my Parkside vac came with some narrow hose specifically for coupling to machinery. The fitting on the end is too big for the belt sander, but removing it (LH "thread" on the hose) lets me couple-up with a length of foamed pipe insulation and a couple of cable ties to keep it from splitting (as it's partially split). A re-usable cable tie round the end of the handle anchors the DX piping, and takes the strain. It also works with the Makita orbital I have.

HTH,

E.

Thanks for further replies - seems no-one has anything bad to say about the 9911, way to go I think when next payday arrives.

Beau - thanks for the Ryobi recommendation, but a 4" is likely going to be too cumbersome and heavy for overhead work. Also I've heard that new Ryobi stuff isn't as well made as it once was. Maybe that's just rumour though.

Paul - what I called a 'sole plate' is indeed what you call a 'wear plate' - Bosch call it a 'slide plate'. A direct replacement seems to be unobtainable, and I suspect it might be difficult to adapt one from another model as it's only 60mm wide -current offerings seem to be 75mm minimum. You've got me thinking though! It's just a bit of metal...

Eric, thanks for the pipe insulation idea, I have a stack of the stuff but never thought of using it as extraction hose.

Rob.

chaoticbob":38uo1pj2 said:
Thanks for further replies - seems no-one has anything bad to say about the 9911, way to go I think when next payday arrives.
Paul - what I called a 'sole plate' is indeed what you call a 'wear plate' - Bosch call it a 'slide plate'. A direct replacement seems to be unobtainable, and I suspect it might be difficult to adapt one from another model as it's only 60mm wide -current offerings seem to be 75mm minimum. You've got me thinking though! It's just a bit of metal...

Rob.
Exactly that - it's not a precision part - just a slide. Pretty sure a larger one could be cut down to fit. But the 9911 is a nice machine ...... :wink:

Back