Wood ID Please...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NazNomad

Established Member
Reaction score
Just cutting some bowl blanks and this popped out....

Could it be Padauk?

100_9019a.jpg

Could be, impossible to be precise but that certainly looks like freshly sawn Padauk colour and the unmachined surfaces also look like Padauk that's had a few years to age. Padauk often smells very slightly warm and spicy, a bit like cinnamon.

yes looks like padauk, hopefully you won't have a reaction like I did, I can't go anywhere near the stuff.

I was very 'spicy' smelling.

I wondered if it was an irritant, it certainly looked like it made horrible dust.

Thanks peeps.... Another dumb question, any idea what it turns like?

NazNomad":3vvfhsmo said:
Thanks peeps.... Another dumb question, any idea what it turns like?

Cindy Drozda used some in the construction of her 'fabulous finial box' if I remember correctly (cos she pronounced it oddly and it stuck in my mind), so its probably a good 'turner'.

Turned quite a bit of it some 11 years ago.

300mm dia.
DSC01423.JPG

305mm dia.
DSC01424.JPG

295mm dia.
DSC01545.JPG

Don't keep it in harsh sunlight conditions, I've recently seen some little posts that I made lids for with off-cuts and they look More Brown than red now, been standing on a window sill.

Attachments

• DSC01423.JPG
    DSC01423.JPG
    778 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC01424.JPG
    DSC01424.JPG
    397.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC01545.JPG
    DSC01545.JPG
    917.3 KB · Views: 31
nev":3u84usw4 said:
Cindy Drozda used some in the construction of her 'fabulous finial box' if I remember correctly (cos she pronounced it oddly and it stuck in my mind).

It's pronounced "padook". Another timber that often causes problems in Wenge, which is pronounced wen-ghee or wen-gay with a hard "g", not wenje or wen-jee with a soft "g".

On the subject of pronunciation, in the North (where I first learnt cabinet making) cornice is generally cor-niss, but in the South it's often cor-niece which to my ear always sounds a bit affected.

custard":1ti3u3pf said:
On the subject of pronunciation, in the North (where I first learnt cabinet making) cornice is generally cor-niss, but in the South it's often cor-niece which to my ear always sounds a bit affected.

As an Essex boy, I've only ever pronounced, and heard it pronounced 'cor-niss'.

Latest posts

Back