Advice on tools to buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to be honest, i am not a big ebay fan and it scares me purchasing 2nd hand goods from there. You never know where they came from really

Mutley Racers":2f30xbv1 said:
MikeJhn":2f30xbv1 said:
Very fine work, linen folds, accurate fine detail work on large panels.

Mike

Wow, looked up the linen folds and that is intricate work. Amazing. I don't think I would ever want to do that.

Can you give me an idea of the kind of stuff you do with yours to inspire me? I did read you had an mv12 router in a table, which table is this?

The Hitachi MV12 is in a UKJ Professional router table with the elevator option: http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technolo ... top-719240 but with a phenolic top: http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technolo ... tor-502701 that's £800.00 before you add the router, so we are talking a totally different machine, I seem to be never ending making wardrobe doors, stile and rail with raised panels, four doors in total 68 separate piece's.

2014-12-09 08.26.15.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• 2014-12-09 08.26.15.jpg
    2014-12-09 08.26.15.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,071
MikeJhn":1prifjxs said:
Mutley Racers":1prifjxs said:
MikeJhn":1prifjxs said:
Very fine work, linen folds, accurate fine detail work on large panels.

Mike

Wow, looked up the linen folds and that is intricate work. Amazing. I don't think I would ever want to do that.

Can you give me an idea of the kind of stuff you do with yours to inspire me? I did read you had an mv12 router in a table, which table is this?

The Hitachi MV12 is in a UKJ Professional router table with the elevator option: http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technolo ... top-719240 but with a phenolic top: http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technolo ... tor-502701 that's £800.00 before you add the router, so we are talking a totally different machine, I seem to be never ending making wardrobe doors, stile and rail with raised panels, four doors in total 68 separate piece's.

View attachment 2014

Mike

Wow nice work. All made with the powered router table?

Attachments

• DSC01321.jpg
    DSC01321.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,035
Its only decent function is as a saw table and even then without the extra winding kit it is not that usable, dust extraction is not that good without the bottom collector and a modified crown guard, here's how I modified mine when I had it:
DSC01229.jpg
the rest of the accessories try to do a job, but have limitations, if you have space for dedicated machines I would go that route, especially on a saw table.

Mike

Attachments

• DSC01229.jpg
    DSC01229.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 947
MikeJhn":3nit9isw said:
Its only decent function is as a saw table and even then without the extra winding kit it is not that usable, dust extraction is not that good without the bottom collector and a modified crown guard, here's how I modified mine when I had it: the rest of the accessories try to do a job, but have limitations, if you have space for dedicated machines I would go that route, especially on a saw table.

Mike

Hi. I definitely don't have the space for individual saw tables and router table etc. The more collapsible the better. On the Triton video from the tws7 he says you could cut down sheets of ply with the extension rollers? Looks like it can take big router bits as well. It is funny hey as I would like a decent maitre saw, router table and table saw. A flip saw either has a table saw or a maitre saw and the Triton has a table saw and a router table. I am confused!!!

Thanks for all the advice though

The Triton Work centre has a removable top that allows a router table to fit on the base unit, have a look here: http://www.tritontools.uk.com/page75.html Dennis is very helpful and will give you all the advice you need, but do be aware that the whole Triton range is IMO a compromise, great to start out with, but you soon realise the limitations and aspire to something better and easier to set up and use.

Mike

MikeJhn":1c2a5ucc said:
The Triton Work centre has a removable top that allows a router table to fit on the base unit, have a look here: http://www.tritontools.uk.com/page75.html Dennis is very helpful and will give you all the advice you need, but do be aware that the whole Triton range is IMO a compromise, great to start out with, but you soon realise the limitations and aspire to something better and easier to set up and use.

Mike

Hi. That is the problem. I don't want to buy something but end up wanting more. I want something or things that will keep me happy for a few years as I get better at what I do.

I have the latest Triton Workcentre with the saw and router inserts, table extensions, and mobility kit. Although I have a 2HP Bosch router, I bought the Triton TRA001 router because it was a perfect fit in the router insert and it is dedicated to the router table. The only accessory I didn’t buy, and now regret, is the Triton dust collector that connects to a shop vacuum and has two suction ports for the top and bottom of the saw and router. The dust collector was not in stock anywhere when I made the initial purchase, and I’ve been too busy to bother about buying it now.

My main criteria in selecting the Triton Workcentre line was getting the most bang for my buck, being able to store the tools when not being used, and producing repeatable work with acceptable quality. I had no delusions that the Triton system would rival dedicated shop equipment costing thousands more, but the difference between good and good enough was greatly offset by the cost and flexibility. My woodworking friends were the first to tell me not to buy the Triton because it will never be as good as dedicated shop equipment, yet none could recommend a suitable substitute that still met my storage requirement. The only recommendation offered was “wait until your basement shop is ready.” I ignored the recommendations and don’t regret buying the Triton system. Even the naysayers are now impressed.

My end-state shop will be a 5m x 5m space in my basement. Until the shop is finished, which might be later this year, I am working out of a two-car garage. Unfortunately, the garage must still be available for our two full-sized cars. Therefore, storage space is limited and I still want the ability to work when the cars are parked outside. The Triton Workcentre folds up and can be easily wheeled into a niche along my garage wall. I have no problems moving or storing it with any of the inserts installed. The unused inserts fit easily on my workbench and are out of the way when the cars are parked inside.

Now for the nitpicking.

1. The mitre slots for the Workcenter are part of the base table, not the inserts. This means any attempt to make and use a precision crosscut sled for the saw will likely not be practical if the saw is removed after fine tuning the sled. The inserts have some movement, although minor, and I don’t think it will be possible to align the inserts with the same precision each time to ensure the crosscut sled is perfectly aligned with the blade. I haven’t bothered to go through the effort to make a crosscut sled, so I am only speculating based on my observations.

2. The angle scale of the saw insert was off so much that I could not align the indicator when the saw blade was at zero degrees. I had to remove the scale bracket from the saw, peel off the scale tape, stick the tape back on where it was within the alignment range of the indicator, and install the scale bracket. This took no more than five minutes and now when the indicator shows zero degrees, the blade is as close to perpendicular to the table as I can measure.

3. Now that I’ve adjusted the blade angle scale so it is useful, the adjustable trunion stop at zero degrees no longer work. With the blade at zero degrees, the trunion stop cannot be set so it stops the movement at zero degrees. I haven’t tried the 45-degree stop yet because I haven’t needed any angle cuts.

4. The saw insert has three plastic alignment bobbins that contact the Workcentre frame while inserting it and serve as pivot points and height adjustment for the insert. The bobbins are on a M6 threaded shaft and are held in place by two C-clips that snap into grooves on the M6 shaft. Unfortunately, it does not take much force to cause the clip to pop out of the groove when adjusting the insert height. I tried different combinations of locking nuts, but none worked. The only solution I found was to take all of the load from the bobbin by holding the insert while making small adjustments to the shaft depth. About 20 minutes later, the three bobbins were as close as I could get them. The remaining leveling screws were adjusted in less than five minutes.

5. With the side and outfeed extensions installed and retracted, it is not possible to install or remove the saw insert when the saw is angled at 45 degrees, as recommended in the very poor manual. The side extension rods interfere with the saw body and the only way to install or remove the saw insert with the side feed retracted is to set the angle at zero degrees. If the side feed is extended, then the saw can be installed and removed with the blade set at 45 degrees, but this requires longer arms than I have in order to do it gracefully and not damage the three fragile adjustment bobbins on the insert.

6. The router insert comes with three plastic throat plate inserts for different sized cutters, each of which requires three leveling grub screws to adjust the height in the router insert. Unfortunately, Triton apparently decided to save a bundle and included only three of the M4x6mm grub screws. I suppose Triton expected the user to remove the grub screws from the aligned throat plate and insert them into the other plates when required. As the plates are plastic, I doubt it will take many changes before the threads in the plate are gone and a new plate will be required. The good news is Triton is happy to sell replacement grub screws at £0.50 each. I decided to go to the local hardware store and buy six M6x6mm grub screws at €0.45 for the lot.

Since purchasing the Triton Workcentre, I have finished buying all of my end-state shop equipment. The equipment is stored on my side of the garage, under strict orders by SWMBO. The largest item is the Minimax SC2 Classic sliding saw that is in pieces small enough to fit down the stairs to my basement. The Triton setup is still in use, as it will be a few more months before the basement shop is ready.

Aside from the issues described above, I am still happy with my decision to by the Triton Workcentre. Knowing what I know now, I would still buy the system because it works and meets my requirements. When my basement shop is finished, I will likely sell the Triton setup, unless I want to keep the saw to rip large sheets of plywood prior to taking them to the basement; although, I can take a full sheet down the stairs.

MikeK":1jpgutu1 said:
I have the latest Triton Workcentre with the saw and router inserts, table extensions, and mobility kit. Although I have a 2HP Bosch router, I bought the Triton TRA001 router because it was a perfect fit in the router insert and it is dedicated to the router table. The only accessory I didn’t buy, and now regret, is the Triton dust collector that connects to a shop vacuum and has two suction ports for the top and bottom of the saw and router. The dust collector was not in stock anywhere when I made the initial purchase, and I’ve been too busy to bother about buying it now.

My main criteria in selecting the Triton Workcentre line was getting the most bang for my buck, being able to store the tools when not being used, and producing repeatable work with acceptable quality. I had no delusions that the Triton system would rival dedicated shop equipment costing thousands more, but the difference between good and good enough was greatly offset by the cost and flexibility. My woodworking friends were the first to tell me not to buy the Triton because it will never be as good as dedicated shop equipment, yet none could recommend a suitable substitute that still met my storage requirement. The only recommendation offered was “wait until your basement shop is ready.” I ignored the recommendations and don’t regret buying the Triton system. Even the naysayers are now impressed.

My end-state shop will be a 5m x 5m space in my basement. Until the shop is finished, which might be later this year, I am working out of a two-car garage. Unfortunately, the garage must still be available for our two full-sized cars. Therefore, storage space is limited and I still want the ability to work when the cars are parked outside. The Triton Workcentre folds up and can be easily wheeled into a niche along my garage wall. I have no problems moving or storing it with any of the inserts installed. The unused inserts fit easily on my workbench and are out of the way when the cars are parked inside.

Now for the nitpicking.

1. The mitre slots for the Workcenter are part of the base table, not the inserts. This means any attempt to make and use a precision crosscut sled for the saw will likely not be practical if the saw is removed after fine tuning the sled. The inserts have some movement, although minor, and I don’t think it will be possible to align the inserts with the same precision each time to ensure the crosscut sled is perfectly aligned with the blade. I haven’t bothered to go through the effort to make a crosscut sled, so I am only speculating based on my observations.

2. The angle scale of the saw insert was off so much that I could not align the indicator when the saw blade was at zero degrees. I had to remove the scale bracket from the saw, peel off the scale tape, stick the tape back on where it was within the alignment range of the indicator, and install the scale bracket. This took no more than five minutes and now when the indicator shows zero degrees, the blade is as close to perpendicular to the table as I can measure.

3. Now that I’ve adjusted the blade angle scale so it is useful, the adjustable trunion stop at zero degrees no longer work. With the blade at zero degrees, the trunion stop cannot be set so it stops the movement at zero degrees. I haven’t tried the 45-degree stop yet because I haven’t needed any angle cuts.

4. The saw insert has three plastic alignment bobbins that contact the Workcentre frame while inserting it and serve as pivot points and height adjustment for the insert. The bobbins are on a M6 threaded shaft and are held in place by two C-clips that snap into grooves on the M6 shaft. Unfortunately, it does not take much force to cause the clip to pop out of the groove when adjusting the insert height. I tried different combinations of locking nuts, but none worked. The only solution I found was to take all of the load from the bobbin by holding the insert while making small adjustments to the shaft depth. About 20 minutes later, the three bobbins were as close as I could get them. The remaining leveling screws were adjusted in less than five minutes.

5. With the side and outfeed extensions installed and retracted, it is not possible to install or remove the saw insert when the saw is angled at 45 degrees, as recommended in the very poor manual. The side extension rods interfere with the saw body and the only way to install or remove the saw insert with the side feed retracted is to set the angle at zero degrees. If the side feed is extended, then the saw can be installed and removed with the blade set at 45 degrees, but this requires longer arms than I have in order to do it gracefully and not damage the three fragile adjustment bobbins on the insert.

6. The router insert comes with three plastic throat plate inserts for different sized cutters, each of which requires three leveling grub screws to adjust the height in the router insert. Unfortunately, Triton apparently decided to save a bundle and included only three of the M4x6mm grub screws. I suppose Triton expected the user to remove the grub screws from the aligned throat plate and insert them into the other plates when required. As the plates are plastic, I doubt it will take many changes before the threads in the plate are gone and a new plate will be required. The good news is Triton is happy to sell replacement grub screws at £0.50 each. I decided to go to the local hardware store and buy six M6x6mm grub screws at €0.45 for the lot.

Since purchasing the Triton Workcentre, I have finished buying all of my end-state shop equipment. The equipment is stored on my side of the garage, under strict orders by SWMBO. The largest item is the Holzkraft SC2 Classic sliding saw (same as the Minimax SC2 Classic) that is in pieces small enough to fit down the stairs to my basement. The Triton setup is still in use, as it will be a few more months before the basement shop is ready.

Aside from the issues described above, I am still happy with my decision to by the Triton Workcentre. Knowing what I know now, I would still buy the system because it works and meets my requirements. When my basement shop is finished, I will likely sell the Triton setup, unless I want to keep the saw to rip large sheets of plywood prior to taking them to the basement; although, I can take a full sheet down the stairs.

Thank you so much for this very descriptive review of the work centre. I really appreciate it. It is looking less likely that I will buy this system now as I really want something I will be happy with for yrs to come. This does not seem like I will be.

I wish you all the best for the end of yr and your basement workshop. It sounds like it will be good.

Regards Lee

Now so far, these are my choices. Looking at the bosch gts 10 xc, bosch gcm 10 inch mitre saw ( not sure I need a double bevel though) or the trend mk3 router table or the ujk compact router table. What do you guys think? Cheers Lee

I have the UJK Professional router table and the compact router table fence fitted to a second string table, the fence's are very very good IMO, but I consider the router lift an almost essential for my old bones, can't keep bending down under the table to lock and unlock the router and adjust its height.

Mike

MikeJhn":37ik6m5t said:
I have the UJK Professional router table and the compact router table fence fitted to a second string table, the fence's are very very good IMO, but I consider the router lift an almost essential for my old bones, can't keep bending down under the table to lock and unlock the router and adjust its height.

Mike

Thanks for the advice Mike. Now this does make the jig expensive with this router lift at £300. Is there any way apart from this jig that a dewalt 625 can be height adjustable from above?

MikeJhn":3vg6y2jw said:
Mutley Racers":3vg6y2jw said:
What are your thoughts on router tables? I would like to make some of my own mouldings for my built ins etc so would like one of these.

The first thing you are going to be told is build your own, fine if you have the time, but personally I bought one of these:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/pp+june-sale+ ... omo=DK2080

Lots of variants around at about £150.00, but the fence is not up to much and the dust extraction is not the best, but then even the expensive ones have limitations.

Mike

Built in router lift.

Mike

Back