Celebrating Canada's Birthday

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Established Member
Reaction score
Good Day Fellow Members

Here is a piece I made to celebrate Canada's 150th birthday. It is made from Canadian maple, dyed using a stain from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Textured with the Robert Sorby texturing tool, and the textured highlighted using a silver metallic gilding cream. The Maple leaf in the bottom was made by a silversmith friend of mine from an antique serving tray from the 1930's. A hole is drilled in the base of the bowl, the maple leaf is glued in place using CA glue and then the hole is filled using clear epoxy. The bowl is then placed in a pressure pot for 8 hours to rid the epoxy of bubbles.

Feel free to C & C....
20170622-IMG_0233.JPG
20170622-IMG_0235.JPG
20170622-IMG_0236.JPG

Attachments

• 20170622-IMG_0233.JPG
    20170622-IMG_0233.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 1,049
  • 20170622-IMG_0235.JPG
    20170622-IMG_0235.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,049
  • 20170622-IMG_0236.JPG
    20170622-IMG_0236.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 1,049
Nicely done sir!

I have a daughter and sister in BC - Vancouver and West Vancouver - and have been to visit them twice. It's a wonderful, breathtakingly scenic country full of amazing, friendly people. The only danger you will ever face in Canada is when unfolding a street map in a crowd - you will be mobbed by helpful people wanting to give you directions.

Happy Birthday Canada!

Thanks Everyone for the comments.

Phil P.... us Canucks are not like the Yanks at all.....grab a beer, have a laugh and enjoy the world around us.

Inspector.... the stain for the bowl came from Wood Essence in Saskatoon.... are you an inspector with the City by any chance? I have a good friend who works for the City of Saskatoon.

Take care everyone.... Happy Turning

I like it.
Taking phil's point above about covering up nice wood with stain - it's done a lot more on the other side of the pond.
I understand the need to stain on such a formal piece, although generally I agree with phil.

Did you drill a hole in the base or was it a recess? I don't see why you would need to drill a hole?

I once went to a talk in US by Frank Sudol, also from Saskatchewan, who had visited the UK and came back with the quote ''brown and round ' turning. So there is a woodturning cultural divide.

I saw Frank's 'Ribbons' piece at the talk and heard his reasons for doing it, it was jaw dropping when he took it out of the battered cardboard box ( I'm sure he picked the box for effect and contrast ). It's basically a thin walled (1/8th in) vase from birch which is then carved. Frank went on an artist's course to learn the optical effect whereby the Mona Lisa's eyes appear to follow the viewer around the room (name escapes me) and used it in this piece, as I understand it.
FSudol.jpg

Attachments

• FSudol.jpg
    FSudol.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 917
Bubba we moved here a couple years ago from BC as my wife got a nursing job here. I was a quality inspector in an aerospace company making large aluminium and hard metal parts (titanium & steel) for 27 years. No such work here so I'm retired. :)

Pete

Finney

Thanks for posting the picture. That is a beautiful piece.... far above what I am capable of at this point in time but something to aim for.

I did drill a hole in the bottom of the bowl about 5 mm deep. I CA'd the maple leaf to the bottom after staining the hole. Then poured clear epoxy over.

With respect to the differences between "this side and that side of the pond".... After 47 years on this planet, I don't think it is fair to pigeon hole anyone into a "they do it this way and not that way" type of thinking. Everyone has their own way of approaching projects in general and certain projects specifically. This project is one that I decided to stain the entire piece as an experiment. It was a bland looking piece of maple (in my opinion) and hence the reason to try it. I have other bowls where I only stained and textured the rim because there was interesting grain in the middle of the bowl that I did not want to cover up.

Personally, I enjoy seeing what other people are making and attempting. It leads me to think differently about my approach and forces me out of my comfort zone.... which ultimately leads me to be a better wood turner (hopefully).

I know from past posts that there are some extremely talented people on this forum and I aspire to be able to do what they do some day.... specifically.... CHJ, Dalboy, Dennis K, Andy 43 and Monkeybiter.... to name a few

Given what I have experienced the last two years with my wife's illness, I know for certain that I am having a good day if the sun is shining and I am able to turn a few pieces of wood.....

A very nice bowl. Like the texture and the leaf to celebrate Canada's 150th
I use to be why cover great wood up but now have started to colour more and more but that does depend on the wood type and the grain within, I now find that a very light staining can also make the grain pop.

Wise in Canuckian lore is Bubba. A beer (or a square of same) , some tunes and meat treated with flame. That brings hosers together to have a hoot. Don't you worry Phil , I think we'll get on well ,Bubba and me. As far as our good buddies to the south , well , our anthem has neither rockets nor bombs featured ...'nuff said? :)

Well Lons , depends which coast you're on as to rituals for honourary status. Here are two regional examples. If you are East coasting , be prepared to kiss a codfish and chase it with the local rum (Screech by name). On the B.C. side of the country an herbal concoction smoked by Vancouverites will gain acceptance with the younger crowd anyway. Across the whole of the country an interest in Ice Hockey and discussion of how well the local team did in the league draft will go a long way in getting you good standing with the locals. Hope this helps amigo.

Lons

In addition to what Lanemaux specified for honorary status I will add these requirements as well (regardless of where you find yourself in our great country): You will need to get ready to wear a toque (sometimes as a fashion statement, most of the time out of necessity because of the weather), introduce "eh" and "sorry" into your vocabulary (we say them a lot), learn to use your BBQ in every season of the year (we don't limit ourselves to the nice months).... Find someone who will teach you the "secret handshake".... without it we wont let you through the doors.....

Dalboy

Thanks for the comments.

Your insight is spot on and is the approach I try to follow for the most part.

If I ever find myself in your neck of the world I would like to touch base to see if I could meet you and learn a few things from you. You have posted pictures of some pieces that I would love to be able to make at some point in my lifetime.

Bubba

Back