Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":15h7ch68 said:
I assume you're going to make a ladder for it so he can get up and down? :D
I read somewhere, long ago, that they have made their way up to attics!
Maybe bungalows in hillsides.

I'll do that then. I understand that hedgehogs are surprisingly good climbers, not much to fear if thay fall because their spines act as shock absorbers.

Jim

yetloh":1gvz69oi said:
I'll do that then. I understand that hedgehogs are surprisingly good climbers, not much to fear if thay fall because their spines act as shock absorbers.

Jim

Actually Jim, not sure that's quite true. I read your post earlier today and decided to test it out. I'm of a naturally enquiring mind so it seemed the thing to do. After some time I managed to tempt out the Erinaceus Europaeus (since this was for scientific research purpose let's make the effort) with some catfood specially purchased at my own expense from under my shed where he bumbles about quite often. Those of you who have read of my previous experiences with cats when I tested the 'not enough room to swing a cat' theory in a small cobb cottage in Devon will know I am not a natural cat owner. But I'm digressing in a very unscientific manner.
Using balanced reasoning I surmised that they couldn't be naturally great climbers. I'd never seen one in a tree or in the Alps for example. And, lets face it even the great and fearsome hedges of Cornwall rarely grow past 30 feet. So me and my two young but promising assistants, (yes the same kids so traumatised by the cat swinging experiment but well recovered now according to the psychiatrist) had a brainstorming session and settled on a 30 foot drop height, the maximum natural occuring scenario. Actually it was my oldest assistant who came up with the drop location. He's very bright you know. We loaded Lord Percy (yes,named by the youngest assistant) carefully into a scientific cardboard box. Using very intelligent methods we guessed that the local bridge 15 whole minutes walk away was about 30 foot give or take a few thou. Up the bank we climbed and at great personal risk from Sunday Drivers we released the payload (Sir Percy). I say released, it was more scientifically described as shaking the box vigorously. It seems that irregardless of wanting to help great leaps forward in scientific knowledge, Erinaceus Europaeus has a fair old grip when it wants to. However. I gave it a good crack on the head (still got it!) which appeared to make it more conducive to test participation.
I'm pleased to announce our results below although fear the drop location was not ideal (possibly flawed) with hindsight.

Scientific Result Of Bounce Test: Inconclusive.
Side Notes: It seems that Erinaceus Europaeus is not a natural swimmer especially near fast boats with propellers.
NB*: Small Children can cry for a surprising amount of time when emotionally upset. Literally hours apparently.

Very funny! In the real world, the writers of books on the subject who one hopes don't just make it up seem to think they can climb pretty well where they can get a good grip (which, in a garden context, probably means most places) and have a good reason to do so eg the possibility of food. They are also pretty good swimmers but do need a shallow area to get out but I'm sure you are right to say they couldn't cope with strong currents. I was coming to the conclusion that a cat could get anaywhere a hedgehog could get but think I have now disproved it, but I'll come back to that on another occasion.

Jim

My Dad acquired a P/T for me. It has two stock-rollers on top, one of them doubles up as a carrying handle.

THIS THING WEIGHS WELL OVER 30kg... Who t.f. designed that, Geoff capes?

It needed a mobile base, and fast. I wasn't going to lug that in & out of the garage.

A heap of pallet wood, a 1'' thick MDF top and a smattering of hardware.

100_9021a.jpg

100_9024a.jpg

I can now lift it, and move it about, with one hand (possibly as little as one finger if I tried).

What's the long handly thing for Naz? And the box. I know there's more to this than my tiny brain can process. Does it lift on to castors? I'm intrigued. Levers?

It lifts onto castors, the long handle moves to hold the treadle in place. The box contains a blade-setting thingy and some allen keys.

Explanatory video coming soon.

I just tried, I CAN lift 30+kg PLUS the table with one finger. Don't you just love mechanicking? :-D

It was made from this idea gleaned from t'interwebs.
bed5ac6da361223a56a79d3273f1b7d0--base-mobile-diy-mobile.jpg

Very clever Naz. I bet it'd be real easy to c*ck it up and get the castors too high or too low. My thicknesser weighs in at 27Kg and could do with your stand... if it weren't for the wonky dry stone steps I have to lump it up every time I need to use it [DIZZY FACE]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Clever man. That is very tidy. Consider stolen.

( Welly life FTW :wink: )

Nelsun":26flsgeg said:
Very clever Naz. I bet it'd be real easy to c*ck it up and get the castors too high or too low.

It would, but I made the two levers first, complete with hinges & castors. then clamped them together in the 'working' position.

Set the table up on two bits of ¾ wood and then marked the holes for screwing the hinges on. That kinda meant the with the levers locked down, the table would be ¾'' off the floor.

It couldn't not be the right height, it just took a bit of sussing out beforehand. :-D

The perfect solution, however, is a space big enough so you don't need to wheel everything out on the driveway to use it. But if you have to, then don't struggle.

Can you not create a wooden ramp that sits over the steps when you need to cart stuff up & down?

Bm101":162hp3v3 said:
Clever man. That is very tidy. Consider stolen.

Doesn't Archimedes still hold the patent for levers? Just watch your back, you know what these Greeks are like. :-D

NazNomad":2j7wrpcf said:
Nelsun":2j7wrpcf said:
Very clever Naz. I bet it'd be real easy to c*ck it up and get the castors too high or too low.

It would, but I made the two levers first, complete with hinges & castors. then clamped them together in the 'working' position.

Set the table up on two bits of ¾ wood and then marked the holes for screwing the hinges on. That kinda meant the with the levers locked down, the table would be ¾'' off the floor.

It couldn't not be the right height, it just took a bit of sussing out beforehand. :-D

The perfect solution, however, is a space big enough so you don't need to wheel everything out on the driveway to use it. But if you have to, then don't struggle.

Can you not create a wooden ramp that sits over the steps when you need to cart stuff up & down?
You make it sound so easy. I'm sure I could find a way to put the wheels on the top...

As to my steps, they wind going up the way about 8' so it'd be some ramp! Makes for good exercise mind you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

curly maple pen.jpg

curly maple rollerball pen. not the finest one that I have ever turned, but still.

I need to get a little light tent to photograph these I think.

Attachments

• curly maple pen.jpg
    curly maple pen.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 133
marcros":tgsbxaqp said:
I need to get a little light tent to photograph these I think.

Or, get a random box, cut holes in 3 sides, wrap in baking paper & put some old wallpaper inside :)

2017-07-07 17.02.34.jpg

2017-07-07 17.02.23.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-07-07 17.02.23.jpg
    2017-07-07 17.02.23.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 520
  • 2017-07-07 17.02.34.jpg
    2017-07-07 17.02.34.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 520
Back