oak prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of making a kitchen and I want oak worktops I don't like the tops made from the little blocks so I thought I'd make my own. I went to my local merchant (Arbor). One top is 2.1m by 70cm and 40mm thick. The guy priced up 2.4m by 90cm and came back with two prices, American white oak £326. and Euro was £490. Seems abit steep to me or am I being tight.
He said American is £2885 a metre cubed
Euro £4347 a metre

Hello,

Is this for sawn or is the timber yard supplying planed stuff.

For sawn it is steep. The boards would start off as 2 inch thick sawn to be planed down. Waney edged oak might cost about 46 quid a cubic foot. (That metric nonsense is awful big numbers for realistic sized stuff)

With wastage, I guess your first worktop would cost no more than £200. That is for 4 cubes, yielding the bit more than 2.5 you would need.

If the yard is planing everything, then cost is about right.

Mike.

We pay around £1120 cube for 54mm waney edge euro oak in QB1 grade. We would charge around £300 + vat for a full stave 700x2100 top.

Hi Wallace
have you had a look at British Hardwoods ,they make their own out of full length staves 90-160mm wide or can supply euro / american par oak in 40x146mm x 2mtrs +

regards david

Thanks chaps, that price was for rough sawn. Macros I found that Scawton place also, its pretty close to me so might be worth a trip.

It does sound a bit expensive to me. But then I just got a price for some Birch ply recently and that wasn't cheap either. The recent pound issues have affected prices badly in my industry (IT) so I can believe things are just as bad for wood prices.

We ought really to set up group buy facilities for some things. I have bought quite a bit of QP1 green oak recently, and I found it worthwhile to buy from timber mill in France rather than a UK yard. This was for a lorry load, machined to spec. Not looked into buying seasoned wood this way though as I don't use sufficient quantity.

We also buy quite a lot of young trees and large shrubs and topiary. Again we found the Dutch and Belgian sellers MUCH cheaper than sourcing in the UK. It all comes from the same places anyway. Again - only works if you can buy a lorry load or at least several pallets.

I visited the Scawton place today to have a look around and price up my oak. For enough waney edged euro oak to do these worktops 2m by 60cm, 2.7m by 70cm and 2.2 by 60cm came to £435.27 delivered. My local place was £490 for enough to do one worktop. Guess where I will be going :D

Back