Reciprocating Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
I need a present day reciprocating saw with wood and metal cutting. Need to take down a trellis with heavy nails and screws to cut through. Happy with corded rather than battery, unless advised otherwise? Not the top, pricy models but good reliable saw to deal with 4" x4" posts etc. Advice please, or do you have one in good condition?
Malcolm

As other thread I have the Lidl Parkside one bought a couple of years ago. Not sure what it can't do against the bigger brand saws. Only issue is they have to be in store. These saws are really for rough work which is why I got a cheap one. Usually if I buy a cheap tool and use it a lot I would replace with a dearer one. I think is this packed up I'd probably get another the same. Use mine for a bit of diy, breaking down pallets for the log burner and cutting roots to get out tree stumps.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I bought the Titan saw from Screwfix for my father as he was determined to break my fancy Milwaukee Sawzall cutting firewood.

It's *ok* for £35...

The saw tends to let go of blades as soon as they begin to bind, which was almost continuously when I cut up a fallen tree recently. Very frustrating having to stop work and fiddle with a hot blade over and over.

I bought a Macallister reciprocating saw from B n Poo a few years ago, specifically for taking down fences and trellis as well as some small trees. It's a crude tool but works well. Some Bosch blades from screwfix improved the cutting performance as well, specifically the ones designed to go through metal as well as wood. Think it was about £40 and turned out to be well worth the money.

The titan one is fine for what you need it for. I've used and abused it taking tree stumps out and can't kill it! A reciprocating saw is never going to be a tool you can do fine work with so don't worry about it!

Looking at the selection available, is it important to have one where the blade can cut at all 4 directions, like the De Walt? Seems a good idea when cutting difficult bits of a trellis or other demolition work, but not many have this facility. Anyone used one of these?
Malcolm

Don't over think it Malcolm - these are crude tools for rough work. You won't be finessing any angles when push comes to shove as the fence comes down!

Following this with interest as I am in the market too as I need to cut up an old plastic oil tank.

I want a cordless one so have looked at the DeWalt 18v range as I have the batteries and all the reviews seem positive albeit vibration gets a negative mark.

There are two compact models with either a brushed or a brushless motor, and about £50 difference in price.

However, there is a Lidl Parkside offer of a 20v recip saw tomorrow at £29.99 plus £16.99 for a battery/charger. It is an Einhell sourced TE-AP 18 which gets positive reviews on Amazon etc so I think I will get one and see what it is like. It has a couple of nifty features but the one I like the most is the telescopic shoe which allows you to use more of the blade. It doesnt have the four way blade mount of the DeWalt but it looks like the blade can be mounted upside down. The four way mount looks good especially if you need to get into compact spaces.

Worth a punt at £47 incuding battery and charger versus the cheapest DeWalt DCS387 (brushed) body at £119 or the DCS367 (brushless) at £175. Plus if it is not up to spec, money refunded without question.

TFrench":1bgrx5zi said:
The titan one is fine for what you need it for. I've used and abused it taking tree stumps out and can't kill it! A reciprocating saw is never going to be a tool you can do fine work with so don't worry about it!

The Trelis I will be cutting is, in most places, horizontal or vertical cuts. I can use the saw upside down presumably if its easier to cut upwards, but the arch over the pathway has several awkward angles and I would like to be able to cut ON the join line to replace easier where just a few sections need renewing. Its not just a 'chop it down' sort of job. That was my thinking in looking at blade positions. |If that mnakes sense?

I bought an old style variable speed Bosch in a sale for £4. Works fine but doesn't get a great deal of use so
I was reluctant to buy new. Great tool when you need it though. I found one advertised in an old Axminster catalogue -£99. Serious price for a green Bosch. The tool was £4, a selection of blades was (somewhat annoyingly) £22.

K

Went out to buy some more timber from Sykes at Nuneaton this morning and took the opportunity to visit Axminsters as they are nearby.

Rightly or wrongly I went for the corded DeWalt DW305PK, as it has a 3 year warranty and I do like the idea of having a 4 position blade holder that will allow me to use the saw up-down-left & right which will come in handy. Also bought a few extra blades for wood/metal and just wood. Once I have had chance to give it a good workout, I can then let you know how I get on with it.
Malcolm

Back