wiring a relay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a question about wiring an inverter. It has a relay output which can be programmed to do many things one of which is to stop the inverter.

My question is how to wire an emergency stop button to the relay output to stop the machine.

Wiring diagram in link below.

Inverter [url=https://imgur.com/gallery/bSbSo]https://imgur.com/gallery/bSbSo[/url]

Any comments/opinions welcome

Thanks, Donie.

Well that diagram is nonsense which is a shame as it makes things a bit harder! Personally I'd put an emergency stop on the input based on the information you've provided, simply because the output side of that diagram doesn't make sense, so I'd just kill the input power and be done with it.

It looks the same as mine. The top control circuit 'fwd/stop' makes the inverter send a current to the machine, but if you break the circuit the machine stops. My machine is set up with with an nvr switch and a mushroom stop button in series in the run control circuit. This requires both of the switches to be shut for the machine to run. Note you will need to run a separate power feed to the nvr switch for it to hold closed when depressed.

Fitz

I don't know much about VFD units, but the HY systems should have a DC brake as a default option of the stop function. The other option is to let the motor coast to a stop, which is what will happen if power is removed from the VFD. Assuming the VFD didn't fail, I would let it control the stopping of the motor in an emergency with a shot of DC, rather than let it coast to a stop.

Thanks folks, I tried wiring it with an old contactor I had wored up to the fwd and gnd circuit, I think ill get a small nvr switch and put an emergency stop in line with it

For anyone who was wondering I wanted a solution to use the inverter built in brake to stop the machine as it stops in 2 seconds rather than 15 to 20.

It is a real shame that you don't persevere with the manual in order to get a proper 3 wire interface to the inverter control input and achieve a proper eStop function.
Most inverters are different but there is always a way to programme them to do what you want.

The contractor on my wadkin couldn't be used as the go/run switch because the relay in the contactor was looking for 400v to hold it closed but it only had the 240v feed. I changed out the relay inside the contactor for 240v relay and it now works.

Check YouTube for vids on fitting dc braking resistor to VFDs.

Fitz.

Back