Totally waterproof finish ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthraquinone

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife is a flower arranger and has been looking at some Ikebana designs. Those used a ceramic bowl filled with water and a pin holder for the flowers. I was wondering if it was possible to make a wooden equivalent, not the pin holder. Part of the bowl would obvisously be under water for several days with the top exposed to the air. I had thought of epoxy but that may be too brittle not to crack if the bowl "moves" in its humid enviroment.

I have heard that hard wax finishes like Teatex can be used for wooden goblets and cups but I was wondering if I am expecting too much of this or any other finish.

Has anyone tried this before with any success or has any recomendations

AQ

The guy who demonstrates and sells Le Tonkinois varnish at wood fairs etc has a turned wooden bowl on display finished with the varnish, full of water.
Their website at http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.uk/ also shows this bath, finished the same way.

WoodenBath01_thumb.jpg

I've used the varnish myself and it's good stuff.

If you encapsulate the bowl in epoxy it makes no difference how humid the environment is. Built a boat with West system resin that lives in the water but the wood is still at 10%

Back