Lion Tool Co Ltd (swindon)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilyweely

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend gave me a dovetail marker/gauge made by these guys today. It is really quite something, brass and steel, with 1-8 and 1-6 angled inserts
for hard and soft woods. It has no real makers mark on it, just on the box. Tomorrow I will try and get a shot of it to show you, but in the meantime has anyone heard of these guys?

The angled guide part slides in a groove, along with two markers to set against the corresponding pins/tails in order to ensure uniformity.
To tell the truth I really need all the help I can get with my handcut dovetails, so I welcome this. However I really am not sure how to use it properly. I can use a standard dovetail gauge, but this is different to anything I have seen, or can find on the net.

Any ideas? TIA

Neil

Eddie

Thankyou very much, PM sent too!!

I have had a look at said gauge and am not really sure exactly how it works. It is not so straightforward!!

I will get someone to post some pictures.

Neil

Hello,
New member here.

I know this is an ancient thread but was wondering if the original poster was still curious about this marking gage?
A friend gave me an identical gage over 10 years ago and I just pulled it out of my cabinet to research the company and stumbled upon this thread.
If the original poster (or any others that may stumble upon this thread are interested, I do have the full instruction sheet for how to use this gage.

This gage is Labeled on the box bottom
03P33-RZ
Dovetail Marking Gage
29.95 (assuming this is US dollars since it was purchased in the US)

The box side is labeled
Made in England by
The Lion Tool Company Limited
Swindon, England

Pics Attached

Attachments

• Dovetail Marking Gauge 1.JPG
    Dovetail Marking Gauge 1.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 37
  • Dovetail Marking Gauge 2.JPG
    Dovetail Marking Gauge 2.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Dovetail Marking Gauge 3.JPG
    Dovetail Marking Gauge 3.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Dovetail Marking Gauge 4.JPG
    Dovetail Marking Gauge 4.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Dovetail Marking Gauge 5.JPG
    Dovetail Marking Gauge 5.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 18
Thank you. I have seen them in the past (several decades ago), but didn't realise who they were made by.

Back