First time flocker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honest John

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just finished a jewellery box for my daughter and decided at a late stage in the process that it would be nice with a flocked interior. I've never done any flocking before but I've watched a few youtubes and I've seen some of the flocked boxes that the bandsaw box officionadoes on this site have completed with great distinction. I've sent for the kit and hopefully it should be here before weekend. My main issue is that I have finished this Oak box with a couple of coats of poly x Osmo oil on the outside, but also on some of the inside before I thought about flocking. I thought "flock it" I've put Osmo oil on the inside! Does anyone know if the flocking glue will stick ok on top of the Parts that have got Osmo oil on them? I understand that you only get one opportunity to get it right with this flocking business, but removing the oil is also not without its problems. This oil finish is totally dry but I think Osmo can take some days to fully cure. Advice from somebody that has used the flocking product sold by turners retreat would be useful to me. Thanks in advance.

I've used flocking over poly varnish with no problems yet (only time will tell). If you sand the surface with something like 80 grit just to cut through the osmo it should be fine.

Because I cant get the official glue out here (it cant be flown due to being an explosive mixture, and whatever you do dont let it near a naked flame because the fumes are lethal) I use hammerite paint instead.
I once used the real glue when i was in the UK, and to be honest, that attempt was less successful than my hammerite.
As long as you use the same colour glue (or paint) as the flocking you will be fine.

Mask off the entire box to stop any drips of glue from sticking where it shouldnt. I even mask the bottom of a box, because I can get paint ANYWHERE! (lol)
Be generous with the glue, as thick as you can get it without it clumping in places, because the flocking coat is so thin it will follow the contours of any lumps (please dont ask how I know this).
Be VERY generous with the flocking. pump it all over the piece, rotate it a quarter turn and pump again, quarter turn, etc etc.
especially if you are coating vertical sides. Doesnt matter how thick the fibres are, there will only be one layer stuck at the end.

Dont get too close with the pump. less than a foot away and the blast from the pump disturbs the fibres. 18" minimum, and GENTLY pump so its like very fine mist settling on the wood.
Leave it a full 24 hours before GENTLY turning the piece over and tapping the box and shaking out all the excess. Remember ALL of the excess can be used again, so start in a big clean plastic box and then collect all the unused back into the container for next time.

I leave mine another 24 hours before GENTLY brushing off more excess, but thats a personal preference thing.

as final encouragement, I did once re coat a flocked box, because the original coat was very threadbare due to me being too sparing with the paint. It actually came out OK.

Thanks Bob, I did wonder about a branding it with paper to key the surface, but I was worried about this Osmo Wax oil. From what you've said, I suspect now it will be ok and the supplied glue should deal with it ok. Just had an email from the carrier and my flocking kit should be with me in about an hour. Thanks for your reply.

one more point, its incredibly light. the slightest breeze will cover you in the stuff. DO NOT use it inside the wifes domain.

I've discovered how light it is! So brought it indoors. Looks ok but il leave it overnight and then clean it up (remove the masking tape). Yet another skill that I have achieved the status of enthusiastic amateur!

Back