New Motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello chaps, I need your help :D The motor on my NOVA 46400 Comet II Variable Speed Mini Lathe burnt out this afternoon. Annoying as it's had little use over the two years I've owned it and today was the first time I've used it for a few months. Anyway, can anyone recommend a good replacement?

The lathe had a 560W (3/4 hp) motor with variable speed control 250 to 4,000 rpm and reverse.

Might be worth talking to the supplier - Could well be that with little use, they'll come good with a replacement / low cost solution. No loss the cost of a phonecall

Define "burnt out"
is it just the capacitor, or a loose wiring joint burnt through. Most motors are quite sturdy and can be repaired a lot cheaper than repalced.

sunnybob":2p2h3d7k said:
Define "burnt out"
is it just the capacitor, or a loose wiring joint burnt through. Most motors are quite sturdy and can be repaired a lot cheaper than repalced.

Doubt this is a simple fix job.
Not sure of the drive type but I guess it's most likely electronically driven DC similar to a treadmill motor.

gregmcateer":gwye0xvk said:
Might be worth talking to the supplier - Could well be that with little use, they'll come good with a replacement / low cost solution. No loss the cost of a phonecall

I bought it off Amazon Greg, didn't contact the supplier as I was thinking there could be better quality after market available.

sunnybob":gwye0xvk said:
Define "burnt out"

I'm guessing it's burnt out sunnybob, the motor became very hot but not smoking, and just stopped. I left it for a few hours last night then plug it back in but nothing.

Hot motor not good, but have you checked the fuse in the plug? just in case?
No idea what a new motor would cost for your machine though.

sunnybob":2sjdhbzw said:
Hot motor not good, but have you checked the fuse in the plug? just in case?
No idea what a new motor would cost for your machine though.

I changed the fuse in hope! :(

Are you sure it's the motor and not the speed controller, how,long where you using it for? what sort of load did you have on it?

Doofusme":dlgrjfsl said:
Are you sure it's the motor and not the speed controller, how,long where you using it for? what sort of load did you have on it?

Apologies for the late reply Doofusme :D Problem solved, it was returned last week and I received a full refund yesterday. I'm not buying another lathe as I never
really used it much, so once I've finished cleaning the shed I'll be photographing the chisels and chuck and put in the for sale section...

Back