Metallic gold coloured filler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lily

Reaction score
I'm new to embellishing turned pieces. Does anyone know how I could make a filler in a gold colour? I tried adding brass powder to araldite but it came out very dull. Does anyone know if araldite is compatible with oil paint or acrylic? Or are there any other tricks?!
Many thanks.

If using the metallic fillers with Araldite you need to make a very stiff mixture, at least 50% metal powder if not more.
The other problem with using epoxy is that you are likely to get pinhole voids due to air in the mix.
Always build it up above the final level required.
Done correctly you can polish to a good metallic shine.

That said however the superglue technique once mastered is probably easier to do.
Remember that you can fill the base of a large void with sawdust etc and just use a final thin layer of metal powder.

Hope this helps.

mikec

If you're wanting "gold coloured" in large quantities you can buy bags of fake gold flake (or any other coloured) and mix them into epoxy resin.

[youtube]-f_a12bUOh4[/youtube]

Tbh, if you're after bronze filings I will start saving it. Wish I'd known before, PM me. Don't buy it fer gawd sake.

Lily":1a1rl6t2 said:
I'm new to embellishing turned pieces. Does anyone know how I could make a filler in a gold colour? I tried adding brass powder to araldite but it came out very dull. Does anyone know if araldite is compatible with oil paint or acrylic? Or are there any other tricks?!
Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum Lily.

I did tell you they are an informative helpful bunch :)

Latest posts

Back