Pine Marten Intarsia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linkshouse

Established Member
Reaction score
My new saw is here and mounted on the stand and I've finally had time to have a proper play with it and I'm chuffed to bits with it.

Here is the first piece off of the new saw, a Pine Marten from one of my own patterns.

I got the fur texture using a wire cup wheel in the drill press.

Regards

Phill

Attachments

• Pine_Marten.jpg
    Pine_Marten.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 698
Nice, is that the final finish, are the ears at an angle? If so I suppose you stuck them on?

pollys13":c4ku0gqe said:
Nice, is that the final finish, are the ears at an angle? If so I suppose you stuck them on?

Not quite the final finish as it is easier to photograph while still quite matt. It will get another coat of wiping varnish and then probably a coat of Woodwax.

As for the ears, I'm not quite sure that I understand your question. The individual pieces (23 in all) are all flat/level at the back and glued to a backing board. From the front the ears are "tipped forward" towards the tops by virtue of the intarsia shaping. The whole head section is also on a riser to make it stand higher than the body.

Is that what you meant? Does this answer your question?

Regards

Phill

Ah yes I see what you mean Brian.

Funnily enough I do usually would sand/cut out the back of the ears. On this one I forgot as it happens, maybe I will break out the Dremel and av at it.

I also noticed after posting that I hadn't stained the nose. It has a dark brown nose now. When I re photograph it I'll post a revised photo here.

Regards

Phill

Claymore":idnqiznr said:
You have captured the pose perfect too, they like jam sandwiches (went on a photography trip a few years ago and they had hides with jam butties for bait and it worked lol beautiful animals but VERY hard to spot in the wild, we have them in the Galloway forest but very few people get to see them.
Cheers
Brian
Nowt better than a jam butty.

Here are some photos of the finish piece now with a properly coloured nose!
IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1100.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 599