Dado with router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamIreland

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi just checking I'm going in right direction here with router.

I'm pushing left to right and router has guide/jig riding against its left side..

Is that correct?

Attachments

• IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,570
if in doubt, look at the blade on the cutter, without power to the machine check that it is facing into the wood when the router is spinning, and not slapping backwards.
But the rules are,
using a table router with the wood in front of the bit, push right to left.
using the table router but with the wood behind the bit (cutting inside of an object) push left to right.

Hand held router; reverse the above.

Ok thanks, I'm a bit of a simpleton.

Will take me a while to work that out!

I'm this case here with a handheld, do I run clockwise or counter clockwise cutting this 50mm dado?

Pictures say a 1037 words. So for your particular case, it would be the direction inside the frame

a_288_1_3.gif

router3.jpg

rout-right-direction-img1-large.jpg

I'm guessing by the handle, it's possibly an Erbauer? .. man - that thing comes in a HUGE box. Personally, as a hobbyist and not a trades person, I throw out the boxes that come with my tools as they take up far too much space and are generally annoying (unless it's a Bosch or something decent, those go in the loft). I like all my power tools on an easily accessable shelf.

Sounds like it could be a Trend, I borrowed one once and couldn't get it in the box. It goes in at a funny angle, not obvious from the shape of the cut outs for the box.

I also bin off boxes and put things in a drawer*

*A big pile where the drawers will go eventually.

My MV12 is the worst tool I've ever owned for getting it back in the carry box. Thankfully it's a good router!

Back