remotely indicative

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bob.

this.

all the hard bit is done for you, all you have to do is gather the parts and upload the code. put a switch in the power feed to the transmitter unit and mount it to the door. this is the simplest approach, you could do more coding and use a magnetic switch, but that means learning something, I can guide you through that if you want to do it though. they are powered from a phone charger if you want to plug in.

http://arduinobasics.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... orial.html

I do appreciate your efforts to help, but you are just not realising how ignorant I am of software and RF components.

To put it bluntly, I could no more do this than swim the atlantic. And you have to bear in mind that I can NOT swim.
Then you need to remember I live in Cyprus, so sourcing this stuff is not easy or cheap.

If I was given a kit of pieces and good instructions i could build it, but I dont have weeks or months to learn enough to do all this just make a light go on and off.

I do get what your saying Bob. the problem is, that what you want doesn't really exist and I can't come up with something else that would do the job. hence giving you the self build option.
as all the stuff you'll be buying will no dowt come in from China, I'd suggest that you are in the same boat as the rest of us for parts.

to be honest though, I'm not entirely sure that the wireless would reach anyway, it's a rather long distance to travel.
I'll quit it now. if I come across something that serves your purpose I'll let you know.

happy days.

If within wifi range, as you have confirmed, you could ask Alexa.
The amazon echo mini can be equipped with 'skill's so that they understand home automation sonoff devices (e.g. http://sonoff.itead.cc/en/) that are on your wifi. Also it can understand Arduino. That way you don't need to use your phone. You just ask the little echo device "is my garage door open" and it will reply, verbally.

Creepy but effective.

I've been looking at using the mains control sonoff devices, which are about £5.00 each. You can wire them into a mains extension lead, then tell the , so I can say to Alexia "switch on xmas lights" and all the mains extension leads I've in-lined that device into, will switch on.

This may be useful to construct your own sensor: http://tinkerman.cat/sonoff-th10-th16-s ... actuators/

Any way you can alter your routine to provide a visual/physical indicator that is automatically checked during night time lock up. No electrics or expense involve.

For instance with us if garden gate is closed, (visible from house)and keys are in stowage. Shed is locked and alarmed.

Other locked areas are only complete when keys find their way back into night time stowage.

If your Garage keys are with Car Keys then a simple MDF indicator tag on a hook near your external door night time lock up routine if Garage is open (back door?)

The door sensor I had has been gathering dust in the workshop for years. It's fell on the floor a few times and even with new batteries I can't seem to get it to work. It just niggles me that there is a setting for zero- like what would be the point in having that option ? When I have a spare five minutes, I'll take it to bits and blow the dust out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you had an led spotlight [optionally masked/shielded] with a daylight sensor to turn it on after dark, or an a timer, or a combination of both, would you be able to see the light cast from your house? Or using a mirror to see the/a light in the garage?
Using a method of seeing an indicator light based in the garage will be the easiest wireless technology available if you can just find a workable configuration.

I'm with CHJ here, at around dusk, or whenever, I'll get up from my chair and say to her ladyship " just going to check around the estate". And off I go with keys in my hand.

The garage cant be seen from the house.
Its an electric door so no keys.
we pull the curtains when it gets dark so lights are no use.
There is a house dead opposite my garage door so no lasers allowed.

The whole point of this is purely BECAUSE i forget to walk around the estate before bedtime. Not often, but enough that i need a visible warning light.

The light used to be at the bottom of the stairs, just a little red eye lamp, but enough for me to notice as I went up to bed.
i just might have to put it back where it was, and to hell with the decor.

'er indoors will go mad!

book your own holiday (its already hitting 30 c at midday), but I'll gladly supply several cans of the stuff.

Bob, buy a mongoose. Keep it a little peckish. Leave the door open. Go to bed at night instead of reading this forum at all hours.

Mike, it would need to be a cyborg terminator mongoose.
Blunt nose vipers grow to almost 2 metres.
So far I havent seen any of them around me, but thats the problem with snakes, you rarely do.

Saw a 3 foot black snake half way up my drive last week, but theyre ok.
Trouble is that brown snakes (poisonous) are black during the breeding season.

CHJ":3fzrp9ys said:
Any way you can alter your routine to provide a visual/physical indicator that is automatically checked during night time lock up. No electrics or expense involve.

For instance with us if garden gate is closed, (visible from house)and keys are in stowage. Shed is locked and alarmed.

Other locked areas are only complete when keys find their way back into night time stowage.

If your Garage keys are with Car Keys then a simple MDF indicator tag on a hook near your external door night time lock up routine if Garage is open (back door?)

I am with chj on this and and i have a similar problem but have taken the low tech approach and have a system with the keys.

You havent read all the posts, My garage does not have keys.
The whole point of the indicator is to remind me when i forget to look at night.

Is the garage on the same electrical supply? You could look at X10 modules. I've no idea if there are modules to suit your purpose, and they may not be readily available in Cyprus.

If that's a non-viable idea, then you've effectively ruled out everything except quantum entanglement or magic, which are virtually the same thing anyway.

John Brown":1rihi6zk said:
If that's a non-viable idea, then you've effectively ruled out everything except quantum entanglement or magic, which are effectively the same thing anyway.

bit of a waste to use quantum entanglement to tell if a garage door is open 50m away. 50ly away maybe though, no time delay that way. :)

I'd offer to build it for you so you just need to fit it, but I have a list of jobs as long as the range needed to get done before I'm allowed to do anything like that apparently.
if I get chance i.e. insomnia strikes then I'll see what I can do.

Plan A:Buy a snake eating snake, keep it in the garage. Door can stay open 24/7.
Plan B:Move to Ireland.

Latest posts

Back