Chisel sharpening – you’re all doing it wrong!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RossJarvis":3p2fnpy9 said:
Regarding the Jacob, I was a bit stunned that it appears he's been banned. I've been given and read lots of good generous help from him, however I've also been stung a bit by his rants and in the particular post mentioned, he really was very aggressively condescending to a new member with a genuine plea for help. I'd have to admit that I've made stupid and possibly hurtful comments myself on occasions and maybe many of us make unwise comments without realising they can be hurtful. I really can't imagine Jacob is a complete ogre, but he can have a way about him which seems uncharitable to those who don't meet his exacting standards. ....
Well I felt a bit annoyed that almost everybody including the OP was arguing against, or offering over-complicated solutions, to a very simple problem; easily solved by brushing up on very basic drawing skills, with a pencil, a set square and a ruler.
I'd still say the same , but perhaps more diplomatically, though I had been posting quietly and helpfully for some time before I went very slightly sarcastic!
It's an inherent tendency on this forum (and others I expect) to seek difficult technical solutions to some very simple problems.

PS Looking forward to fighting off BB and his shiny handbag!

Jacob,
On that thread, I was entirely with you.
BUT is was quite obvious the OP was determined to do it his own way, so it was futile continually making the same point.
You frequently do it and this is where you start to be annoying. Just accept some folks can't be helped.

I know I am doing it wrong!!!!!!!! Sharpening by hand, on arkansas stones.... I have two identical squeeze bottles in my shop (cheap chinese condiment bottles from ebay) and I took the wrong bottle by mistake, one has ballistol in it, the other has shellac... Looks identical in color....

DennisCA":68ybls6q said:
I know I am doing it wrong!!!!!!!! Sharpening by hand, on arkansas stones.... I have two identical squeeze bottles in my shop (cheap chinese condiment bottles from ebay) and I took the wrong bottle by mistake, one has ballistol in it, the other has shellac... Looks identical in color....
I made a similar mistake when I worked in a holiday camp kitchen many years ago. I oiled the breakfast sausage tins with industrial Teepol (washing up liquid) instead of peanut oil (same colour in the next barrel). 300 guests ate sausages cooked in washing up liquid and nobody complained!
The tins were very easy to clean afterwards.

Jacob":2ol3m3az said:
DennisCA":2ol3m3az said:
I made a similar mistake when I worked in a holiday camp kitchen many years ago. I oiled the breakfast sausage tins with industrial Teepol (washing up liquid) instead of peanut oil (same colour in the next barrel). 300 guests ate sausages cooked in washing up liquid and nobody complained!
The tins were very easy to clean afterwards.
I can't be the only one to put shaving cream on a toothbrush and froth at the mouth.

I have a feeling Jacob periodically gets himself banned on purpose just so people will say nice things about him on threads like this!

Woodmonkey":11l5jr8z said:
I have a feeling Jacob periodically gets himself banned on purpose just so people will say nice things about him on threads like this!
Perhaps we need a naughty button for forum members: too many presses by others in a space of time leads to a temporary time-out. Much potential for comedy abuse though :)

Jacob":1mkg1k0h said:
RossJarvis":1mkg1k0h said:
Regarding the Jacob, I was a bit stunned that it appears he's been banned. I've been given and read lots of good generous help from him, however I've also been stung a bit by his rants and in the particular post mentioned, he really was very aggressively condescending to a new member with a genuine plea for help. I'd have to admit that I've made stupid and possibly hurtful comments myself on occasions and maybe many of us make unwise comments without realising they can be hurtful. I really can't imagine Jacob is a complete ogre, but he can have a way about him which seems uncharitable to those who don't meet his exacting standards. ....
Well I felt a bit annoyed that almost everybody including the OP was arguing against, or offering over-complicated solutions, to a very simple problem; easily solved by brushing up on very basic drawing skills, with a pencil, a set square and a ruler.
I'd still say the same , but perhaps more diplomatically, though I had been posting quietly and helpfully for some time before I went very slightly sarcastic!
It's an inherent tendency on this forum (and others I expect) to seek difficult technical solutions to some very simple problems.

PS Looking forward to fighting off BB and his shiny handbag!

I will admit that I came very close to posting an alternative solution, but decided to keep gob shut. I tend to be more reckless the closer to closing time I post.

Woodmonkey":1esxy36p said:
I doubt he cares what people think of him, we tend to be like that up north.

Jacob":31gxyshw said:
Yep I've seen the light! :shock:
Paul Nutter PhD for PM! (hammer)

I cant help laughing now everytime I see him interviewed, I always think of him now as Paul Nutter :D :D

lurker":2z8s7459 said:
Woodmonkey":2z8s7459 said:
I doubt he cares what people think of him, ...
I do I do! I'm very sensitive!
Actually I'm not too bothered about being banned - it means I can do something more useful instead, like watching Benidorm.
And it gives BB a chance to polish his handbag and regain his composure - I sometimes think I'm a little hard on him. :oops:

Jacob":3rzj9y76 said:
lurker":3rzj9y76 said:
Woodmonkey":3rzj9y76 said:
I doubt he cares what people think of him, ...
I do I do! I'm very sensitive!
Actually I'm not too bothered about being banned - it means I can do something more useful instead, like watching Benidorm.
And it gives BB a chance to polish his handbag and regain his composure - I sometimes think I'm a little hard on him. :oops:
Welcome back Jacob. I think this forum would have been a poorer place without your experience and commonsense approach to woodworking.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Welcome back Ould Man. Missed your offerings. We agree entirely on 'boutique woodworkers', even if throwing petrol on flames ain't my cuppa. Be good!! :lol:

Sam

Oh, and go easy on BB (aka PW); he's got a good, informative, side too. Don't let imitating politicians get in the way of woodworking.... [-X

In my opinion Jacob is one of the most valued contributors on this forum in terms of conservation and traditional wood working.

I think it would be a very sad day where someone who has so much knowledge and experience about traditional woodworking and is willing to help people like myself learn skills would be shunned out for any reason.

People like Jacob should be listened to really rather than poked at; a few areas which Jacob has stirred up controversy in recent past.......

Linseed Paints - Lots of people saying he was talking nonsense about Linseed paints being better when he started. Now Historic England, SPAB, and Historic Scotland insist on these paints and there is countless publications on how they are better. PLUS a general acceptance about the benefits. The market size of Linseed paints has massively increased.

Sharpening - Big page on Jacobs website and lots of conversations about sharpening. Now online people like Paul Sellers and the other Northern Bloke english woodworker man all touting it, its all fairly well accepted and it turns out Jacob wasn't mad after all.

Double Glazing etc etc......again Historic England Spab etc all singing off the same hymn sheet.

So, although Jacob is abrupt he should be hung on to as a extremely valuable resource ! When these folks are gone there is not exactly a big queue of others to take their place.

What about double glazing? We had that solved and figured out by the 1880s in Finland.

rhrwilliams":lo4ue1le said:
.. When these folks are gone there is not exactly a big queue of others to take their place.
'ere - I'm not going anywhere! FFS!
Thanks for the kind words though!

DennisCA":lo4ue1le said:
What about double glazing? We had that solved and figured out by the 1880s in Finland.
British climate is a lot gentler than Finnish and by and large double glazing is not cost effective here, in spite of the massive pressure from salesmen.
I'd be interested to know how 1880s Finnish double glazing is done. The problem here is that all the common solutions are highly obsolescent, rendering them even more cost ineffective

Removable interior sashes basically, taken out for summertime. They are in fact so efficient it's not worth the money to swap out for modern equivalents. Heimlaga could talk loops around me on this, he's an expert in this.

Back