Apple wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickie 1974

Reaction score
Hi all just a quick question I'm quite new to woodturning and just been given some freshly cut apple branches, what would be the best way of storing it and what would you advise on sealing it with. Also would it be better to cut in to sizes I want now or wait till it dries.
Thanks mickie

The biggest problem with many fruit woods is that they are very prone to splitting. You will need to seal the ends as quick as possible and keep them a long as possible. This does not mean that it will not split.
The other thing that may help is to turn them to the finished item but concidering that you are reasonably new to turning this can have its own problems as you will need to turn it to the final shape in a very short time because it still can move causeing you other problems.
So Go with the first option and hope for the best, as you become more experienced you hopefully will learn how to over come some of the problems as well as understand more about using freshly cut timber.

If your apple wood behaves anything like the cherry and plum I've had, split right down the middle, too. If poss right through the pith, (though it seems to have worked if you wander off dead centre of the pith). Either split with a splitter, or use a chainsaw - whatever you've got - and as Dalboy says, keep it in as long lengths as you possibly can - then you MAY only lose the ends to splitting, (or the whole damned lot if you're unlucky - and don't as me how I know!!)

Good luck

Back