Stanley vs. Norris

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my adjusterless planes, I use a small steel hammer. I know some folks don't like that, but it works great. I can get along with the adjuster on the norris (as red green says), "if I have to, I guess."

I got the second of 3 adjuster-laden planes yesterday. I probably will keep one for the long term just to have it, but I don't really need to have one for any other reason.

Custard - in terms of the stanley adjuster, I've never had issue with the lateral adjust (or really any part of it, I guess) - and I'm not sure (trying to think about what I do - and when I do it, I don't think about it), but I think I anchor my fingers or hand on the handle when making adjustments so as to be able to make small ones. I'm indifferent about adjustment with stanley planes vs. no adjuster for most work, but I have to admit that I do like the stanley adjuster for smoothing work.

I pondered buying a Holtey A13 for a very long time but ultimately decided not to. Now as a sole earner with two kids, it doesn't make household sense (neither does making planes, I guess). One of the A13s sold used for $4500 (very lightly used) this year or last year, can't remember where - on the right day, I might have thought about it.

The one challenge for me, having no machine tools except a drill press, is making and accurately drilling the lever cap. Everything else on an infill plane is easy by hand, save the time factor - but that's why we have hobbies, to take up our time with something enjoyable.

Which holtey do you have?

Back