help with jacobs chuck and kit for trying to turn pens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Robbo I wasnt thinking of gap filling I was thinking of needing to use the contact adhesive or super glue for glueing the tube in place so the wood doesnt fall off it or do I not need to glue the wood to the tube?

Also you say about thin or medium CA glue, is it labeled as thin or Medium or are you talking about the standard poundland super glue?

thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Colin

For glueing the tubes into the blank i always use 2 part epoxy glue I have in the past used garilla glue as well as both of these will help fill any gaps between the tube and blank Super glue/CA does not make a good join in my opinion.
As you can see I have made the odd pen here and there

Thanks Dalboy. OK so CA glue only for the outside and 2 part epoxy glue to glue the tube into the blank.

Cant wait to try.

cheers

Colin

technium":cgnbeb45 said:
Thanks Dalboy. OK so CA glue only for the outside and 2 part epoxy glue to glue the tube into the blank.

Cant wait to try.

cheers

Colin

As I said in a earlier post I no longer use CA as a finish but now prefer Melamine Laquer

Could anyone advise me about the drill bit for cutting the hole in the wood, is a normal wood drill bit sufficient or do I need a special bit?

thanks

Colin

Ordered the dvd from KTMP and have heard nothing. ive contacted them twice and no reply at all. Anyone else deal with KTMP or know of a decent contact for Paul Loseby as maybe he can help.

thanks

Colin

Sorry Technium but Karl Tickle of KTMP passed away some time ago. I cannot find Paul or his DVD anywhere.
There is "turning pens by KIP and REX" it is in book and DVD form on Am******.
Any drill bit that makes the hole successfully and the correct size will be ok.

Fred Taylor
Orchard-Woodturners.org.uk

Thanks Fred thats great, well its not but I guess ive lost my money then unless paypal come through and give it me back. Bit annoying they still have the website live then and allowing people to place orders that wont be fulfilled.

Ive found Paul on facebook but hes not responded to my message either so I doubt I will get the dvd someone recommended above.

thanks for your info.

Colin

Colin have a look for Walter Halls book on pen turning. You can use normal twist drill bits for drilling the blanks but don't drill all the way through just the length of the tube and a little bit this will help prevent break out drill slow and clear any wood out as you go then cut the end off the blank to reveal a clean hole. Some people prefer to drill on the lathe while other use a drill press but the latter may not have the travel to drill the hole to the required depth.

Thanks Dalboy, I will have a look for the book.

Yeah my drill press doesnt have much travel so will give the lathe a go and if not then it might be a good excuse for buying a new drill press.

cheers

Colin

I used Gorilla Glue and CA and i prefer the thin CA, it's quick and instant though i left mine over night. The mandrill save is better that a revolving centre as it put the pressure on the end of the work piece not the mandrill itself. That way you can get more pressure to stop any slipping.
You can also get end mills that are meant for pens, the mandrill locates down the brass tube and trims the ends nice and square.
When you drill the acrylic (if thats what your using) di it slowly when feeding the drill in and use water for cooling. If you drill to forcefully you will get what they call a blowout, it occurs just as the drill emerges it pulls itself though and a big chunk will fall off.

Don't forget the potato!

After you've cut your blank a couple of mm longer than the brass tube, and drilled it with the appropriate sized drill bit and are ready to epoxy your tube into the blank, cut a slice of raw potato and push your tube into it, thus resulting in a potato plug in the ends of your tubes. It stops the glue going inside the tubes! Push them out afterwards.

Latest posts

Back