Barley Twist

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrtree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have cut a couple of barley twists for a chair restoration project, that was a good few years ago & took an age :)

I have another that I would like done. This time I would like to have someone do it for me using as copy lathe.

It is a double twist, that's probably not the right term. I will try & explain....there is the main twist cut from ,say, 40mm stock and running through this is a smaller twist almost as if a piece of string has been wound round....does that make ant sense?? :? :? :?

Anyway, it is possibly above my pay grade to copy this by hand, :D so I want someone to do it for me.

Does anyone know anyone who has the facility to copy this for me.

I have had a quote of £140 from a company but they weren't willing to guarantee that it would be an exact match. The piece is approx 600mm long.

Any advice is appreciated

Chris

A picture of the form required would help visualize it.

Richard Findley of this Parish is your man for one or two off speciality twist turnings if they are sensibly possible without CNC.

Woodmonkey":1l6lilo3 said:
I would think you would need to use a router lathe rather than a copy lathe?

Ah, yes, that's the one!!

CHJ":1l6lilo3 said:
A picture of the form required would help visualize it.

I'll post one later when I get home.

IMG_20141008_182525166.jpg
This is the piece I'm trying to copy

Attachments

• IMG_20141008_182525166.jpg
    IMG_20141008_182525166.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 3,291
I don't think this could be done on a copy lathe, it looks like a hand turning job to me. I'd be happy to look at it for you, although I notice you are in Hampshire, the home of the twist master, Stuart Mortimer (Google for details)

If you want me to take a look, drop me an email. I doubt I could do it before Christmas though.

Thanks

Richard

I have seen things like this and even more complex done on a cnc lathe but usually as Richard says they are done by hand first as a prototype.

Pete

This is possible on a copy lathe if the turner is worth his salt. The only problem I see is if the part to be replaced is opposite to the one in the picture. I had a left and right hand barley twist made in 1997 1.2m long x 120mm thick.
the right hand twist on a copy lathe is strait forward it is the left hand twist that is when the turner needs to know what he is doing. By hand on a lathe is possible and with some patients should be done in say 3 to 4 hrs. regards Roger C

I've just been confined to a wheelchair and so I'm going to take up woodworking again which I stopped doing as a hobby nearly 20 years ago. I'll be making small things as my space and ability to handle large pieces are limited.

One of the things I always wanted to do is spirals, largely for decoration on clocks, and I nearly bought a Trend Router lathe before I stopped. So, may I throw a bunch of questions at you in the hope this thread is still being visited?

Doe the Trend Router Lathe or something like it still in existence?

Could you cut spirals on a metalworking lathe that can cut threads?

Could you lash a dremel-type mini router to the tool post of a metal working lathe? This is of particular interest because I seem to remember the router lathe could cut lovely hollow spirals with a deep cut.

Anyhow, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

merlin777":17pyu6po said:
I've just been confined to a wheelchair and so I'm going to take up woodworking again which I stopped doing as a hobby nearly 20 years ago. I'll be making small things as my space and ability to handle large pieces are limited.

One of the things I always wanted to do is spirals, largely for decoration on clocks, and I nearly bought a Trend Router lathe before I stopped. So, may I throw a bunch of questions at you in the hope this thread is still being visited?

Doe the Trend Router Lathe or something like it still in existence?

Could you cut spirals on a metalworking lathe that can cut threads?

Could you lash a dremel-type mini router to the tool post of a metal working lathe? This is of particular interest because I seem to remember the router lathe could cut lovely hollow spirals with a deep cut.

Anyhow, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Legacy Ornamental Lathe, I am not good enough to tackle something like that But the LOM is more than capable of doing that, with the right cutters. The old Trend router lathe only did one pitch /spiral and no way of doing more.
On the http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/index.php JFC has one he is Near London

Timber

Maybe too small for what you want. Beall Pen Wizard uses a Dremel for cutting.

http://www.bealltool.com/products/penwizard/penwiz.php

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Chucks_ ... izard.html

With a metal lathe, unless you can modify the gearing for the carriage, you are limited to maybe 8 threads per inch or finer, possible 4 on a bigger machine. CNC lathes or a milling machine with a 4th rotary axis can also cut spirals.

Pete

Bill Ooms has a CNC ornamental lathe that might be of interest to you.

http://www.billooms.com/index.html

Inspector":1tg1898m said:
With a metal lathe, unless you can modify the gearing for the carriage, you are limited to maybe 8 threads per inch or finer, possible 4 on a bigger machine. CNC lathes or a milling machine with a 4th rotary axis can also cut spirals.
I've been through this thought process and actually made a modified gearing unit for my Myford Super 7.

It uses a Dremel attached to the tool-post as the cutting head and was only marginally successful. The major problem is naturally that the very high gearing needed for (say) 2" (50mm) or even 1" (25mm) pitch, you need a wormwheel in the equation. This then dictates that you cannot drive the spindle with the normal motor - it must be driven from the lead-screw.

I've put three files on my website - http://www.crescentcomputing.co.uk/workshop

1 is a SketchUp model (42Mb!) of the design (you'll need SketchUp V8 or later to view it)
2 - a photo of the finished gearing unit
and
3 - a photo of a part cut BarleyTwist.

With appropriate cutters in the Dremel there is no real reason why a BarleyTwist as shown in the original photo in this old thread couldn't be cut but it's not a simple "Start the Dremel, put a feed on, turn the lead-screw handle and 'Bingo' you have a BarleyTwist".

Latest posts

Back