The Sealey SM900 Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lathehunter

Reaction score
Hi All
I'm new to turning and have just inherited a Sealey SM900 lathe which i know very little about.Can anyone advise me about maintence as the only type of review i can find is an earlier post on this site which mention something about the belts shedding due to the handle type? The poster woodspoiler said he lubricated his machine and the variable speed worked better. I ob viously want this lathe to last so any advise will be welcome.

1. Clean all dust and debris from around drive mechanism, in headstock and motor.

2. Ensure all speed control linkages are free to move but clamped correctly (check grub screws etc.)

3. Ensure Motor shaft is lubricated with grease, there is usually a grease nipple on the end of the motor shaft. Not too much, just enough to be able to see a smear on the motor shaft where the moving spring loaded pulley half slides.

4. Lubricate headstock pulley and all mechanism with Dry PTFE spray Lubricant, Don't get too much on Belt but a little does not cause excessive slipping and it runs smoother.

5. Always turn motor and headstock whilst moving speeds, either under power or at least by hand by turning chuck. (needed to facilitate the belt transfer across the pulley cone) Failure to do so usually wrecks the speed control linkage sooner or later due to excessive forces.

If you use the lathe on a regular basis the above needs a coating of looking at about once a month.

Hi Chas
Thanks for the advise much appreciated.
Can you recommend a dry ptfe lubricant brand as i havn't heard of such stuff.

Cheers again
Andrew

Hi
Just wondering how you are getting on with the sm900
I have just picked one up with missing drive pulleys and are wondering whether to replace with same, or use a stepped pulley and belt change the speeds.

Latest posts

Back