BS300E

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wend

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

A quick question for anyone who's had a BS300E delivered:

I understand that it will be delivered to outside the house (semi-disassembled, on a pallet of some sort), but I will obviously want to get it safely inside pretty quickly! Getting it into the garage should only be a matter of moving it a metre or two on relatively smooth ground, but I'm finding it difficult to guess how hard it will be to move 85kg in whatever shape it arrives in.

Is it feasible for one not-particularly-strong person to move it, perhaps by sliding it along (or potentially unpack it outside and carry in piece-by-piece - although I'm not sure I could carry the heaviest piece), by themselves (I have no dollies etc), or do I need to try to arrange to have a friend around when it's delivered?

Thanks!

I've done it many years ago (on my own) and I don't recall it being too bad to be honest. It is disassembled into boxes, each of which is manageable. Having a strong friend wouldn't do any harm mind although that's more the case when you're assembling it because manoeuvring the table is tricky as it's heavy. Also if I recall correctly it has a separate wheel stand and getting the actual bandsaw frame onto the wheel assembly was a pain because the wheel assembly stands about 2 foot tall and you need to life the entire frame of the bandsaw onto 4 mounting bolt holes (which obviously don't line up because it was made in the Far East!

So make sure that strong friend is there come assembly time.

Two sizeable peices of equipment delivered from Record were brought into my garage when delivered. Have a word with Record immediatly as this is an important matter and I would never have anything delivered that was not placed where I wanted it. That machine is too heavy and my BS400 heavier.
Malcolm

I'm not too worried about assembly, as I can do that at a convenient time, when suitable help is around. I fear delivery will happen at a time and day that suits the delivery company, though!

As I understand it, Record will send it via a third party delivery company who "aren't insured to" put it inside the house. A reasonable policy, as they wouldn't want to have to deliver down the stairs to a basement or anything. I think there's a fair chance that the guy would be happy to put it just this side of the garage door rather than just that side, but I need to allow for him following the policy to the letter.

You dont need to lift the whole thing. You can shift boxes muuch heavier than the by tilting it onto one corner, and rotating it. then the next nearest corner to the desired position and rotating again.

Lay it down to unpack, assemble it on its side, then lift one end to achieve vertical.

I moved and unpacked my axminster 350 bandsaw this way and that was 95 kg. As long as you are mobile, you dont need any more strength than being able to lift an airline holiday suitcase.

Wend":37v5lq7t said:
Hi,

I understand that it will be delivered to outside the house (semi-disassembled, on a pallet of some sort), but I will obviously want to get it safely inside pretty quickly! Getting it into the garage should only be a matter of moving it a metre or two on relatively smooth ground, but I'm finding it difficult to guess how hard it will be to move 85kg in whatever shape it arrives in.

Is it feasible for one not-particularly-strong person to move it, perhaps by sliding it along (or potentially unpack it outside and carry in piece-by-piece - although I'm not sure I could carry the heaviest piece), by themselves (I have no dollies etc), or do I need to try to arrange to have a friend around when it's delivered?

Thanks!
I bought an engine hoist ,one that folds ---- very very handy when I moved my BS350, Usefull for all sorts of lifting jobs Just over £100
Cheers
Timber

Wend":37tsn0ns said:
Hi,

Thanks!

I loaded my BS350 into my estate car by lowering the top of it onto a piece of plywood protecting the bumper and rear apron and then sliding it into the car, unloading was a similar exercise in reverse, I am an elderly gentlemen, not that fit and have arthritis, if your young and fit it should not be a difficult job to load a BS300, I also found a sack barrow a boon to move it to where I wanted.

Mike

Buy yourself a dolley. They are only about £20 at machinemart and are very handy to have.

My BS300E was delivered by my local tool shop where I bought it from. It didn't come on a pallet, just in one cardboard box. The delivery person placed it in my garage for me, but if you had to move it, it would be quite simple. Either pick up a £10 dolly as mentioned or a skate board or something, or simply lift it vertical, and then rotate it about it's corners until in the place where you want it (as sunny mentioned). I've done this many times and it's pretty easy. You might scuff the cardboard box corners a little, but nothing terrible.

Having said that, the top piece (the main thing that goes in the stand) is extremely heavy, one reasonalbly strong person can manage it, but only lifting in place. You don't want to be carrying it from the bottom of your drive!

Don't forget that it also has two wheels on the stand. So you could just construct it in place and wheel it to where it needs to be. For this, you only need to build the stand (minus the cast iron top) and lift the saw onto it (about 30 mins work), the other assembly can be done later.

I bought my bs300 recently from a show and was advised to get the box into the floor. Cut open the box and remove all the contents except for the saw. This includes the table which is a good few kilos of the total weight. Then assemble the stand but don't tighten up the bolts of the stand yet. The joints should be free to move a bit. Next while the saw is still in the open box, tilt/lift up the base of the saw on blocks. Attach the assembled base to the saw. Tighten up all the bolts on the stand. Then take hold of the top of the saw and tip/ walk it up to the upright position. I'd also leave of attaching the wheels until now as mine was harder to tip upright as the wheels kept wanting to ride along the ground.
I managed fine on my own and I'm not very big.
HP that helps
-Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I should add that if you follow my method of building your bandsaw, i think you should assemble the bandsaw lying on its left hand side ie with the column along the ground. That way all the weight is concentrated close to the main axis about which you are lifting.

-Neil

My BS350S was shipped by DPD and I had to help the driver carry two VERY heavy boxes out of his van and down the drive to my garage. He didn't have a sack truck or any kind of dolley. It nearly killed me! (In comparison Axminster Tools delivered my AT1628VS in their own lorry with a driver and mate. The lathe was in a custom box/pallet and they trucked it right into my garage exactly where I wanted it.)

The bandsaw boxes were very battered and on inspection the motor fan cover was bashed in and had to be replaced.

Lifting the bandsaw body onto the stand the next day took me and a mate all our strength. A chain hoist would have really helped. Even fitting the table comfortably is a two man job.

I love the saw but the whole delivery/setting up without lifting equipment was right on the limit for two reasonably fit people.

As I said previously I am an old unfit guy with Arthritis, but as Neil S, I managed to assemble my BS350 by myself, lay it down on the floor, fit the base and lift it up you are not taking the whole weight if you leave off the cast iron table, by the way the auxiliary wheeled base is U-less, its not strong enough for the weight of the unit and the fixed wheel are on a single cantilever plate, that bends as soon as you try to move the bandsaw, really really not fit for purpose if you move it around often.

Mike

I fitted my own wheels and lifting mech pieced together from YouTube videos. If anyone's interested I can upload photos. It cost about half that of the record kit and seems too work really well. I can post photos if anyone's interested but didn't take any WIP photos.
-Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Got one of these half way through last year. Was delivered as expected palletised banded onto a metal pallet,never seen before. Asked the guy to put it in the garage with his pallet truck,which he did.
The need for 2 people is imperative to do the main assembly of this bandsaw.
I hope they are helpfull with you. I would not have wanted to sruggle with trying to get it from road side to the garage.

I just bought a BS350S, along with some other heavy shop tools. The delivery truck could not navigate through the narrow winding roads to my house, so the driver parked on the main road and brought the pallet to me using a pallet jack. He delivered the pallet into my garage, which doubles as my shop.

After I assembled the base and wheel kit, my wife helped me lift the bandsaw onto the base. I did the majority of the lifting while she navigated the saw onto the four bolts extending from the top of the base. If I do this again, I will remove the blade first, but fortunately neither of us were cut.

Well done glad you got it delivered Ok. As for the blade very inferior as others mentioned went straight to tuffsaws for my starter pack. Would not go anywhere else now. Service is great and blades broken on the weld replaced no problem.
Hope you enjoy your new machine.

MikeJhn":8jhrd2js said:
As I said previously I am an old unfit guy with Arthritis, but as Neil S, I managed to assemble my BS350 by myself, lay it down on the floor, fit the base and lift it up you are not taking the whole weight if you leave off the cast iron table, by the way the auxiliary wheeled base is U-less, its not strong enough for the weight of the unit and the fixed wheel are on a single cantilever plate, that bends as soon as you try to move the bandsaw, really really not fit for purpose if you move it around often.

Mike

Different people have different ideas about imperatives, up too a BS350 these things can be assembled by one person with a bit of ingenuity.

Mike

In case anyone else finds themselves in the same boat, here's how it turned out:

I talked to a couple of resellers, and they were much more optimistic about delivery into the garage. I ordered from one, and the pallet was delivered were I wanted with no problems.

The bandsaw was delivered with what I would describe as its left hand side facing down. The height of the pallet was perfect to allow the stand to be attached to the bandsaw, with around 1cm clearance to the floor. My initial plan was to attach the wheels with one bolt to the stand before attaching it to the saw, and then to rotate them out of the way while I was getting the saw upright. However, as the wheels would be initially facing down, I wasn't sure that they wouldn't cause problems even if rotated, so I removed them again.

Getting the saw upright was the easiest part of the whole process. It went up without any effort, and it was easy to "land" it in a controlled manner. Even with a large team, I think this would be the easiest way to get it all together and upright.

Then I had to get the wheels back on, which was perhaps the hardest part. The first time I'd put them on I had been able to orientate the frame so that gravity didn't make life difficult, but now the orientation was fixed. The lower bolts are behind the wheels, and despite not having particularly large fingers it was tricky to get the nuts on them. Eventually, with the help of some needle-nose pliers, I got them on.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice!

Latest posts

Back