Poolewood Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveyboy

Reaction score
Hello all, I've just joined this group and have a question, but first let me introduce myself. I am retired and took up woodturning some 8 years ago. Having made many bowls, pens and all the usual stuff, I am now into segmented and open segmented turning. Very challenging but satisfying.
My question, or more precisely my problem is this. I have recently become involved with a group called The Man Shed which aims to help people gain skills in all walks of life, and to this end we have been given a Poolewood 28/40 lathe. Unfortunately it was dismantled before being taken to our premises. I have reconstructed it except for the drive. I have seen the pictures on this site which I hope will enable me to finish the task. I am not too sure how the pulleys are attached and most problematical is that the key(s) for the shaft are missing. I know they were there before the machine was dismantled, but have since disappeared.
Is there anywhere I can obtain these keys?
One final question, are the electrical connections polarity concious or can they be attached to either terminal in the connection box.
Many thanks Steve

Poolewood have a website... First port of call.
Keys are likely to be woodruff. If you can't get them from Poolewood then there are loads available online, but you'll need to measure accurately. More data needed for wiring.

Is it a mechanical Reeves drive version? if so then the keys as far as I recall are just rectangular section and should be easily made from some mild steel bar stock and a few minutes filing.

Are you referring to the mains connections? the 'polarity' should be irrelevant as far as AC power is concerned.

What type of switch gear is fitted, straight ON/Off, Small NVR in headstock or Larger external 'yellow'' NVR switch Unit ?

There are some 38/28-40 lathe information links on my site under 'Tool Interest'.

Thanks to all those who replied. The mains connections I am refering to are those that connect the mains lead to the connection box on the lathe.
There is an NVR switch on the lathe itself, it is just the mains connection I am concerned with.
With regards to the pulley assembley and keys, the photos on the information links site are great, many thanks. If anyone has the dimensions and material type I would be most grateful.
Regards Steve

woodpig":2mpvvmpv said:
Can't help with the electrics but you can buy Key Steel here:

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/materia ... 938?query=

Don't use mild steel it's not tough enough.

I'm confused?? Whats the difference in specification between the mild steel suggested by Chas and the mild steel from the link you've posted? (I don't do metal so I'm curious)

Key steel is not mild steel, look at the spec in the link Bob. They don't make specific key steel for no reason.

That's whats confusing (the link). Here is the description of the key steel in your link

Capture.PNG

So I'm obviously being thick because that says high grade mild steel. That's why I asked you if there's a difference in the specification. What am I missing?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,101
There's nothing particularly special about BS 080A47 which is a Free machining Medium Carbon Steel, which is about the norm. for so called Key Stock taking load and designed in length and size specifically to carry the drive load or shear in the event of excessive loads if that's in the equipment design. Shear strength of about 30 tons per sq. inch. (460-470 n/mm^2)

In the case of the Poolwood Lathe and the size and length of the keys that can be fitted I personally consider any of the mild steel materials in the readily available BS 970 230M07 or 080A15 range (with a shear strength of approx. 20-25 tons per square inch min. (300-400 n/mm^2) range to be adequate to carry the loads that the 1 or 1-1/2Hp motor can deliver on the Poolwood 28-40.

There might be an argument for using a Tool Steel for the key that locates the sliding pulley halves so that they resist wear, but then they will be harder than the pulleys and they could wear instead.

The main thing about Key Steel Stock is that it is rolled or drawn to fairly tight dimensions so that it is of a known (guarantied) size and usually has rounded corners.

Be aware some Key steels are Stainless or higher carbon content and if a key size is designed to shear it should not be replaced with a higher grade of material unless it is specified.

It's not difficult Bob.

Mild steel (EN1A) is a low carbon (.05 - .25%) ductile steel.

Key Steel is a medium carbon (.35 - .6%) unalloyed steel (equivalent to EN8) which is tougher and stronger than mild steel. It can be hardened if required.

https://www.westyorkssteel.com/carbon-steel/key-steel/

Key steel is also supplied in both metric and imperial sizes to fit common keyways. From £1.52 a strip (as linked) why would you fiddle about filing a lump of mild steel to fit?! Just cut to length and remove any burrs, job done.

Stevie, good luck with the Man Shed. Someone's trying to set one up near me but is not getting much interest.
As regards the 28 - 40 I have some parts for one, the sheaves, springs etc. - it was all very kindly given to me, so if it transpires you are missing a part, give me a PM and if I have it you are welcome.

Yes, R.O.B. - it's the pain again. :D

Back