Excalibur has a fever

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
POETS day is very common in the RAF where I discovered it many years ago, and it was very early if working nights when time to go meant just after midnight usually.

Chris

Hi,

Well I have heard back from Axminster today who have stated that it appears that their engineers thoughts are that the motor needs replacing and to be on the safe side also the PCB. They have offered me a discount of £50 due to the closeness of the warranty expiry date which I thought was very fair of them.
Motor = £68
PCB = £31
So my next question to the group is this - Has any one with an Excalibur had the panels off uncovering the PCB and also removed the motor from the machine?
Looking at the exploded view in the manual I think the removal of the motor is pretty straight forward. As for the PCB although there is a wiring diagram it doesn't actually say where it is situated although I have an idea its behind the paneling where the motor is situated.
I am not a qualified electrician/mechanic but I am a keen DIYer and if this a matter of just taking out the old and replacing with the new then I would rather do this then send it away. It would be good to hear of any experiences.

Regards,

Dave

Dave, glad the costs of the pcb and motor aren't too bank-breaking.

I've not had my saw apart and the saw & manual are both out of reach at present. I don't know where the pcb is located, so I can't help directly, sorry.

But what I have learnt is that with just about any machine (within reason) "if someone put it together, then someone else can take it apart/put it back together again".

BUT if going this route, I'd also repeat the obvious - take it step by step, take pictures or make sketches, and assuming the pcb has some sort of plugs/sockets arrangements, mark every wire BEFORE disconnecting anything.

OTOH, if you're not sure, and remembering that the saw is a pretty high quality piece of kit and was not cheap to start with, is it worth trying to do something you're not completely sure of?

"All" (!) it needs is bolting onto a substantial piece of scrap ply, packing the whole lot into a carton, sending it off to Axi, and getting it back again (all these are costs to you of course - plus their labour for the repair itself, obviously). But against that you will have a guaranteed repair. In particular, I would like to know WHY the motor and/or pcb packed up. IF changing the motor and pcb are not the key to the original failure, then you're covered by Axi if it fails again - from what you've said, you've used it in a reasonable way, so there's no obvious reason why it should have failed at all in just over 3 years worth of (presumably) hobby usage.

Just my two-penny-worth. Good luck.

AES

Provided the shipping and labour aren't going to be to extortionate I'm with AES for another reason.

It is unlikely to be both the p.c.b. AND the motor, and they will only replace what needs replacing. Plus it sounds like there is an outside chance that it i snot either as their diagnosis is only based on a telecon. In any event they will only do what needs to be done with a guaranteed successful result.

Make no mistakes if there was an obvious fault like a broken linkage or something that you could clearly identify I'd be saying "don't be a wimp, just go for it" but in this case discretion may be the better part of valour.

Regards

Phill

Hi,
Thought I would update you with the latest -
So I ordered the new motor and PCB from Axminster which arrived 2 days later and fitted both the following day. The old motor was in a sorry state inside scorched and pretty disgusting. The PCB appeared ok but replaced it anyway on the advice of engineer. Glad to say all is back to normal now and I am able to finish the mothers day plaque that I had started for the wife! (I'm sure she will understand :cry: )
Anyway just like to say thanks for all your help and advice.

Regards,

Dave

Back