Don't forget Sunday

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turkey found it very difficult to workout as well, They abandoned it this year and are now stuck on British summertime.

well the Turks can look on the bright side, they'll be able to grow a lot more with the extra rain they'll get :roll:

Even more importantly, don't forget Mother's Day especially if you have small children who are reliant on their father to help them sort it!

They don't change at all in Queensland Strine cobber :eek: , but according to my sister wot lives just over the border in NSW they are a bit odd anyway? That's not my opinion, just that of dear sis :mrgreen:

So it now gets an hour later an hour earlier :? :? and here it gets 2 hours later an hour earlier complaired to you lot north of the ditch! But!! It just stays one hour later, if you get me drift?

jlawford":hw9a40e1 said:
Even more importantly, don't forget Mother's Day especially if you have small children who are reliant on their father to help them sort it!
No small children but the expectation is still there, forgot a card so I improvised;
DSC_0012.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,118
I remember in 1971 or 2 my family had a small 20 room hotel. The clocks changed, and I was the only person up as the staff all forgot to change their alarms. I duly cooked and served the breakfasts, made up the bills and checked people out. When the first staff member arrived, a receptonist who was always late, she thought she was ten minutes early. I said not to worry - glad to see you , grabbed my blazer and ran. I nearly missed the train to school. :lol:

I do NOT want to start a hornet's nest, honest, but does anyone else agree with me that this changing clocks business twice a year is just a stupid, inconvenient waste of time?

And one could easily say that this is just mankind "artificially playing with nature"!

As jonzjob wrote above, by no means all other countries in the world do so, and apart from war time (which was, I understand the reason why it was first "invented") any "benefits" obtained far outweigh the disadvantages IMO (neither pros & cons am I going to list 'cos I understand that this, at least for some, is a rather sensitive subject)!

Still at least "we" (Switzerland) now change our clocks on the same dates as everyone else in Europe (which was NOT the case when I first came here, 25+ years ago) - much to the chaos caused in things like international train and airline timetables for instance!

And BTW, this Sunday is NOT Mother's Day here (nor in Germany I don't think). And also, as another example of differences, although Easter and Christmas are (of course????) celebrated on the same dates here as in UK, Whitsun and some other festival I've forgotten are also celebrated on different dates in UK and here.

As these are all originally Christian/Church or perhaps pagan festivals (including Mother's Day I believe), how come different countries celebrate these things on different dates?

Just interested (and irritated by going around changing all the non-electronic clocks this morning :!: ).

AES

The church decides which week easter falls on.
Here, the greek orthodox have a very different system to CofE. Our easter can be several weeks different from the UK because they work on lunar months (JC didnt have a casio digital watch)
The UK government picked fri /mon to keep it nice and tidy for the banks (its a BANK holiday after all).

cyprus has 16 days national holidays each year, and apart from easter weekend they are all date specific. If that date falls on a weekend one year, tough, no holiday for you.

I worked here for several years, and it was very weird having days off during the week.

I'm also old enough to remember when the UK did away with it for one year. it was a disaster and was reinstated the next.

Xmas and Easter are religious holidays, not bank holidays, by the bye. I don't think the UK ever did away with summertime - they doubled it one year in the '60s, and put the clocks forward two hours. Great fun, going to school in the pitch dark.

It would seem that the church don't even know when JC was borne and just knicked a pagen date for that, so how can someone just pop his clogs to benifit some bloke in Rome? Perhaps it's all bound in with the rest of the 'pick-n-mix' of their story book? :mrgreen:

Here too in France the fête falls on the date. Christmas was on Sunday last year. Saturday was a normal day and so was Monday. Same on New Years. None of this mamby-pamby 'oh! we missed out on our daze off crip! (hammer)

Jonzjob":35n4rf3w said:
It would seem that the church don't even know when JC was borne and just knicked a pagen date for that, so how can someone just pop his clogs to benifit some bloke in Rome? Perhaps it's all bound in with the rest of the 'pick-n-mix' of their story book?

There is nothing pagan about easter - it is a christian celebration. It just happens to be on the first sunday on or after the first full moon after the spring equinox. :wink:

Nothing pagan about Easter, my hairy backside. It's named after Oester nordic god of fertility and was originally celbrated by cast ingbulls blood on yer fields and rolling eggs down a hill. Winners egg supplied the bull blood and the meat used in feast for the village. Muchos Kudos all round. And all to do with spring planting

And I only wanted to point out that the article in the paper implied that it was UNUSUAL for the clocks to change on a Sunday!!

Bye the bye, Easter in the CofE/Catholic church as a celebration is on a movable day as it is fully authenticated that Jesus's death occurred at the end of the Jewish festival of Passover. This period also changes as it is related to the full moon/spring equinox.

There are two points on this. Firstly the Orthodox churches did not update their calendars in 1751/2 (give us back our 11 days) when we changed to the Gregorian calendar from the Julian calendar as the latter had been loosing time rather rapidly!

Secondly, there was a disagreement in 'England' between the Church if Rome and the Church of Ireland about how to fix the date of Easter. This was resolved at the Synod of Whitby in 664 AD. It was decided to follow the Church of Rome on this and a number of other doctrinal issues such as the fact that Irish priests could be married, there were 'mixed' monasteries and most importantly, the shape and size of the tonsure!

History lesson over.

The eggs came later and are a physical metaphor. I'm sure those who don't celebrate Easter will not be buying any!!

Phil

However,

Shame that those eggs aren't good quality cokky and mainly sugar? whoever decided when they are going to be munched. And what ever the moon phase, i fthey can decide the supposed day that JC was born then why can't the decide when he was topped?

The calanders weren't changed by then surely? Moon? Celebrations concerned with it? Aren't they somewhat pagan?

Lets face it, they are all beliefs arent they. Belief, truth? there's a difference isn't there?

The truth is that I believe there is :) :)

Back