The most difficult tool to become proficient with?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say a large axe (probably small ones too actually, but I have less knowlege of these) is easy to use, very hard to master. Probably would be my nomination since its a tools who's usefulness seems to be only limited by the skill of the user and true master axeman are very very rare (out of what seems to be a lot of axe users), hence showing how hard it is to be truly proficient with an axe.

Just look at the shovel maker video Pete posted, its an excellent example of just how profitent some practiced workman can get: shovel-maker-t104299.html

-------

As above: Every plane I have used, I felt the skill was more in the set up than anything... most people can get the action down to a high standard with a few weeks/mouths of practice, but not the set up. At least for me thats true (5 years expierence), Lie Nielsen block plane I still have not mastered due to its fiddly adjustments!

bugbear":2t5ac0sc said:
D_W":2t5ac0sc said:
Woody2Shoes":2t5ac0sc said:
I've yet to achieve satisfactory results with my Record 020 Compass Plane - luckily my spokeshaves can make up for nearly all my shortcomings with the 020 (chatter etc.).

Using the cap iron set properly...
I've think I've spotted a recurring theme in your posts...

BugBear

There is one! You're right. As long as the subject plane has a double iron in it, it works better when the double iron is set properly.

I'm not the only one who thinks this about the cap iron on circular planes, though. I've seen Custard talk about how much better it was to use a circular plane after he learned to set the cap iron.

The easy answer is any tool with a blunt cutting edge. :mrgreen:
One underestimated tool is a hammer. Being able to drive a nail close to the surface without marking it isn't easy yet can save hours of punching home when nailing a floor down (besides other jobs)

JimB":1xz4npox said:
One underestimated tool is a hammer. Being able to drive a nail close to the surface without marking it isn't easy yet can save hours of punching home when nailing a floor down (besides other jobs)

I agree, blunt cutting edge or a rounded bottom (Spoke shave, Compass plane)

Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":2ws6s6c0 said:
JimB":2ws6s6c0 said:

I agree, blunt cutting edge or a rounded bottom (Spoke shave, Compass plane)

Cheers Peter
Both you and Bugbear have mentioned the round bottomed spokeshave which just goes to show how everybody is different. While I think it can be difficult to learn how to adjust a spokeshave, in operation I find them to be the ultimate hand and eye tool i.e. you can't "think" your way into using them well but rather have to develop the "feel" for them. I find that if I use it quickly to cut a bevel down to the marked lines on either side of an edge it is then just a matter of shaving away until the bevels vanish. On a curve which is purely decorative, you just do it until it looks right. Problems start if you want a very tight curve but that seems to me to be a function of the curve and not the tool. Curve too tight? Switch to fretsaw (now there's a pipper of a tool to control) followed by sandpaper. Or am I missing something?

Skew chisel on the lathe for me.

Strangely, I find it more difficult to use a metal rebate plane (Record 778) than a woody skew.

Side rebate plane, followed by my Record #20 compass plane.

That's probably only because I use the side rebate more often - or try to. The reaction is usually twofold: "Thank goodness I've got one of those side rebate planes." Half an hour later it's, "Why on earth did I buy that stupid thing!"

And yes the cutters are wickedly sharp, and honed at the right skew angle - it's just really hard to get it to behave, the handle is in a silly place, and I'm forever catching a finger on the pointy end of the cutter (that ought to be) in use.

And my combination plane is a bit of a challenge, too, me being a leftie'n'all.

Back