Shovel maker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link, the simple art of swinging an Axe that comes from hundreds of hours of practice and perserverence.

excellent video. I've seen many of those wooden scoop shovels in relatives' bars, but never one in really good condition (usually used hard). I always foolishly thought they might be weak or fragile.

Aluminum shoves are popular here, or were, for scoop shovels, but they are fragile and wear really fast and rough at the edge.

timbo614":h8d5f9aq said:
Great piece of film. Thanks. I wonder if he used a 2000 or 4000 grit stone sharpening that axe?! :)

I dare say if he had the internet out there in the woods, he'd have started a thread about it on here. :-D

"I used to be able to make 6 a day, now its only 3.....my Dad and I made 3500 in a year".

I thought it looked and sounded far more pleasant than working in the factory, PAYE or not.

Next time I'm watching The woodwrights shop ill think of this old guy, when I see the scoop in the background.

Thanks for that.

Regards,
Dave

There's a dirty jobs episode on shingle making (I think) where a guy is doing a diagonal deep rip (making two tapered in thickness shingles) on a really big bandsaw, and he's doing it freehand - no pushers, no fence, just a blade-of-death.

I'll try to find it - it's looks like a finger-ectomy waiting to happen..

EDIT; this isn't the one I was thinking of, but it's bad enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3HBfj423cc

EDIT2;

The episode I had in mind is this one

Dirty Jobs, Season 4, Episode 4, "Buoy Cleaner", but it's not online
any where I can readily/legally find.

BugBear

Amazing axe work! Thanks for sharing that :)

What often strikes me about these traditional craftsman is how few tools they have! I think he did that whole job with just 4-5 different tools?

Thanks Pete. I enjoyed the video. The Folkstreams website link is the real gold dust for me. Never seen it before. I was gonna comment the video reminded me of Alan Lomax. Scrolled through the website and there's Alan Lomax alongside lots of other stuff :wink: Much appreciated Pete. Owe you one yet again.

Cheers
Chris

Back