Where can I find 3.5mm and 4.5mm wood drill bits?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwmcc

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy wood drill bits (lip and spur type) in 3.5mm and 4.5mm sizes for clearance holes for no6/3.5mm and no 8/4.5mm woodscrews? They are the commonest sizes I use, but all the on-line sources I can find only sell sets or individual bits in whole mm sizes - typically 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10mm.

I've searched extensively on-line without success. One or two sites used to list them, but they were both very expensive for single bits AND out of stock - possibly permanently - and I can't even find a listing now anywhere - not on Amazon, not on eBay, and not from a general Google search for 3.5mm wood bit or lip and spur bit.

An old post on this forum (from 2009) said that Axminster Tools used to sell a set in 0.5mm increments, but the link is dead, and they don't any more have ANY half-mm bits, nor do they know where to get any. The nearest I could find at Axmister was for 1/8" and 3/16" wood bits, but both are the wrong size to fit well - too small and too big respectively, though 3/16" is not hugely too big.

And I've seen ONE set for sale with half mm increments from 3-10mm for £25-odd, but that's very expensive just to get the two sizes I want, since I already have two sets of 3-10mm bits in whole mm sizes.

Any known sources or suggestions for where to look, please? Or better search terms to use?

As I'm sure you're aware, 0.5 increments are common enough in standard twist drills so you could use the nearest lip and spur bit for the initial hole then run through with a standard 3.5 or 4.5 twist drill afterwards.

I can highly recommend dewalt extreme 2 drill bits, they're hss bits but they have type of point on them, I buy them in packs of 10 off fleabay, I suffer from the well known pencil syndrome with drill bits as they keep disappearing.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

I'll follow up the ones that aren't too expensive. The Rutlands set would be good value if I needed these frequently and broke them regularly, but I think that one or two of each size will probably last me a lifetime as a hobby woodworker in my mid 70s!

I should have searched for 'brad point' drills, but didn't think to do so.

dickm":ym7y5avz said:
Bought a set in 0.5mm increments 2mm to 12mm from Axminster last year. Can't remember the price, but it seemed very reasonable, as did the quality.
Sadly, they don't do those any more.

If twist drills would do you they're widely available on Aliexpress in full and half-mil increments.

The tips can be re-ground to improve performance in wood if really needed but I don't think it would be since presumably you're either hiding the hole with the screw head or countersinking anyway, which would hide or obliterate any slightly chipping that might occur.

I have plenty of twist drills, it was just the brad point/lip and spur wood drills i couldn't find. But thanks to all for taking the trouble to respond.

I've ordered an inexpensive set of brad point drills in 0.5mm increments - £7.99 for the set, free click and collect.

Workshop Heaven sells lip and spur drills in 0.5 mm increments, both round and hex shank - not cheap but their quality is excellent

Back