Lathe has lost torque

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexf

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a CCL lathe and until recently has been going fine as long as I cleaned and greased the shafts for the split pulleys regularly. Recently however it has been losing torque. At first I thought I was being too agressive but it now stops If I try to take anything but the finest cuts. Can anyone throw some light on this. Hopefully it is not the case of a new motor.

Thank you for your advice. I decided just to change the capacitor rather than trying to get it tested. Axminster still do most spares for the CCL and the capacitor for it from them is £5.50 + £1.00 postage. A great deal and will get it either tomorrow or Monday.

alexf":27l2bxia said:
Thank you for your advice. I decided just to change the capacitor rather than trying to get it tested. Axminster still do most spares for the CCL and the capacitor for it from them is £5.50 + £1.00 postage. A great deal and will get it either tomorrow or Monday.
I'd be interested to hear if this fixes the problem, as my CCL maybe developing the same problem

Will try it whenever the part arrives. Maybe today or Monday. I changed the capacitor about 4-5 years ago because I had to spin the part by hand to get the motor going. I know it is a start/run capacitor but don't know if the start and run are two separate circuits.

Back