Reversing a bowl for foot removal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
As per the title I quite often see on forums this question coming up as well as being asked by some of our club members how do I revese turn to be able to remove the foot. Well I do it the same as Ed Oliver does in this video which I think is better for explaining this over trying to write it down. Look at about 35;30

https://youtu.be/rAYwQDB-2gc

I like this Ed Oliver series ...tho he seemed a little defendive in the first 7-8minutes ! ... quite an interesting form to the spondle gouge he was using there ..I'd not seen that shape before !

Thanks again Dalboy ... I might even subscribe to his channel at this rate!

He is not normally like that, I missed his talk on Tuesday on hollow forms. The gauge he showed at the beginning is a bowl gauge or do you mean the fingernail spindle gauge he uses to clean up the foot area.

yeah ..the modified spindle gouge for cleaning up the foot. Looked like a good idea!

Keithie":15o938hb said:
yeah ..the modified spindle gouge for cleaning up the foot. Looked like a good idea!

Yes, it looks similar to the Cindy Drozda "signature" grind. As soon as I saw this on YouTube I had to give it a try on my 3/8" spindle gouge and it works great.

To reverse natural edge bowls for spigot removal or even to true up warped bowls, I made a mushroom which is held in the chuck. Using some padding the bowl is placed over the mushroom & is centred using the tail stock in the original centre mark.

Latest posts

Back