Spalted Beech bowl. Advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swb58

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently rescued a chunk of Beech that was destined to be firewood, promising to give a large portion of it back as a wedding present sometime in the autumn, I think it's September.

I've not done anything as big as this before, never had to turn the headstock on my CL3, but have managed to get a smooth bowl shaped object 14.5" diameter and about 5.5" deep ready to make the mount on the base for the chuck.

Just wondering now whether I should make a spigot or a recess for the chuck, is there any difference in clamping ability one way or another. A recess would be easier to finish as I'm not going to be able to reverse it.
I'm hoping to have it hollowed out by the end of the day, how much meat do you think I need to leave? Will an inch be enough, there'll be a lot of movement I imagine on a piece that diameter.

Any help will be gratefully received, I don't want to muck it up at this stage.

Cheers.

I just made a small spalted beech bowl (pic in blog) .... might have been better if it was rubberwood the number times it span off the lathe and bounced off the wall!

My suggestion would be either to make sure you have a big spigot or to glue something sacrificial to it ! The varying density gave me all sorts of trouble! But I'm a novice and those with more experience will be able to point you in te right direction!

Good luck with the bowl :)

You can turn the bottom to its finished state and hot melt a sacrificial piece to it which can either have a recess turned in it or be have a faceplate (ring) fixed to it. Or you could turn an insert - which I think can look neat.
DSCN2026.JPG

DSCN2141.JPG

One one way, one the other. You shouldn't have much trouble with movement, if it's spalted it's past being seasoned really. It might be damp, but not green.

Attachments

• DSCN2026.JPG
    DSCN2026.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 1,447
  • DSCN2141.JPG
    DSCN2141.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 1,447
Thanks for the replies. This is spalted but not to a stupid degree, it's still quite solid (I think!). I hadn't thought of attaching something to the base, yes I can see how that would work.

I work in a fairly confined space and don't like the idea of it making a break for freedom. That would spoil my Sunday afternoon somewhat!

This Bowl WIP from my site might be of interest in deciding how to hold the item.

If you don't have Cole Jaws a faceplate and screws will work for the initial hold.

Thats a very useful tutorial from my pov as well....extra support from tailstock for the piece with a made to measure 'cap' over the metal tailstock centre.

Please can I ask ..
1. Is the tailstock live (and hence the wooden cover rotates with it)
2. Isthe little white cap in touch with the piece just a blob of set pva or something else?

many thanks

Keithie":1unfevdj said:
........Please can I ask ..
1. Is the tailstock live (and hence the wooden cover rotates with it)
2. Isthe little white cap in touch with the piece just a blob of set pva or something else?

1. Yes live tailstock centre, you can also turn larger cones etc, to aid in supporting the mouth of open topped vases, hollow forms and the like.
2. It is a self stick felt pad that can be found in £1 shop or Wilkos for furniture and polished surface protection.

crikey ...thanks again...tailstock supports are something I shd def use...and that vase walkthrough is just excellent... I think I need an imagination upgrade ! ...my nextproject is just a set of oak whisky tumblers!

Well I jumped in head first and cut a recess for the chuck. The CL3 only has about 6.5" over the bed so so I couldn't do anything between centres.

I've had enough of big bowls for a while so I'm going to think of something else to do with the other half. Maybe some coasters and a smaller bowl/platter, I'll remember about the glue on mounts for those sorts of things.

Thanks for the help, expect some questions about finishes in about six months time :)

Cheers.

PS. Must get to grips with posting pictures. It used to be easy with camera and a PC, now the iPad and my phone don't like each other :|

Just a quick update with a not very good picture.

I made it as big as possible which in hindsight may have been a mistake because it's an awfully boring shape. Hoping the grain pattern will brighten it up when it's finished. The plan now is to make another smaller bowl to go with it which can be kept separately or together with this one as a sort of base. I made a recess for the chuck on the big one and have a (hidden) spigot on the bottom of the other one so they should sit together nicely. Well, that's the plan . . . . . . . . .

Back