Advice on first purchase spend split

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DexterX

Reaction score
Hello,

I am off to do a couple of days tuition soon before I decide if this is something I want to get into and stump up my hard earned cash for a lathe and equipment. I have pretty much decided to purchase from axminster tools based on the number of reviews posted and their customer service seems to be excellent.

I have a budget of about 900 -1000 quid and quickly realised that things like saftey equipment, chucks, different tools etc will be required over and above the initial cost of the lathe. Does anyone have any recommendations on how best to split my budget between the lathe and the various tools and accessories. The type of turning that most appeals to me is bowl turning and maybe some Christmas gifts and ornaments later in the year.

Many thanks

Dex

This sort of mirrors my dilemma a few years ago - I also did a short course before buying kit.

Most (not all) was purchased from Axminster:

- AWVSL1000 lathe approx £400.
- Supernova 3" chuck set with a few jaws approx £100
- Record 6" grinder approx £70
- set of 6 Axminster tools approx £90
- 10" bandsaw approx £300
- Axminster 5 speed pillar drill approx £160
- Sorby grinding jig approx £100
- basic Axminster dust extractor + blast gates approx £150
- face protection, dust masks etc approx £50

All these are best described as about one level above the starting point in the range. Total comes to around £1500 although the bandsaw and drill are not critical for turning they do come in very useful for cutting blanks and other DIY or hobby tasks. You could save some cash by buying S/H but as a complete novice back then I would not have been able to differentiate the lemons from the plums. Buying S/H can also take time as large items may need to be sourced locally due to costs of either fuel or delivery.

Rgds

Terry

Do you still use that kit Terry, anything you wish you had done differently?

Thanks

There is an inevitable tendency to buy more bits over time - how often and how much depends on how hard the bug bites:

- gouges - I now have about 15 including a fairly heavy weight scraper (really useful for bowls as the weight inhibits vibration).
- larger 100mm chuck and jaws (ebay)
- finishing and decoration products

The only large piece of kit I would now like to change is the lathe. Although it is likely to do all you require for the first few years, it does have imitations - quality of finish, drive noise (from belt/cones, high slow speed precludes turning items over about 12/14" due to vibration and balance problems.

However no regrets over the purchase - it allowed me to learn a lot and was good value. In particular a new upgrade would have proper variable speed - possibly Record CL4 or Axminster 1416VS - but this would blow your entire budget on its own. For the amount of use I would give it, I am not sure that it is justified as I would need to upgrade chucks etc to match the new spindle thread.

Good lick

Terry

Terry - Somerset":2he93wbn said:
- larger 100mm chuck and jaws (ebay)

However no regrets over the purchase - it allowed me to learn a lot and was good value. In particular a new upgrade would have proper variable speed - possibly Record CL4.

Terry

Re a chuck, I'd go for an axmister 100mm unit. The range of jaws are second to none and will always be compatible if you buy another / upgrade.

Re lathe, I've posted several times re my lack of love for record twin bar lathes, however, many swear by them. There is a very nice CL4 on Ebay a the moment.

Best of luck and welcome to the spiny world.

Simon

There is a Record DML 24 in the For Sale section - a bargain for any beginner.
Looks like the chuck doesn't have any jaws & there is no thread protector - used as a means of ejecting the drive centre.

Hi DexterX,
I can recommend taking a trip to Perthshire Woodcrafters or Taywood Woodturning Club to get a feel for the lathes and tools that you may need.
Both clubs meet on the first Saturday of the month (Saturday 4th March) and I would recommend your first visit should be to Monifieth for the Taywood club.
Both clubs have websites.

take care
Don W

I would really recommend trying to get some of this stuff second hand. A second hand lathe will be a lot cheaper and if you really get into you will buy a newer/bigger/smaller one based on what you like doing. I am now on my third. Same for tools and the sharpening stuff. Check ebay, there is lots to be had.

Although I love Axminster stuff (i have the 1628vs lathe). It is expensive, especially just starting out. PM me if you are interested in some sharpening stuff. I have some for sale. It is what i started out with and has served me well.

Thank you all for the advice, I went along to the taywood club at the weekend although since it was demonstration I didn't meet anyone. I've bought new from axminster to take advantage of their finance options and all the stuff arrives tomorrow.

Thanks again

DexterX":1yrm5944 said:
. I've bought new from axminster

You've triggered one of the forum rules I'm afrard - no photos means it hasn't happened.

:lol:

Brgds

Simon

Back