Any idea on what these are for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
Bought these at the car boot. Seller wasn't sure what they are and neither am I now. At first I thought they were doming punches but on closer inspection they are not polished or hardened. There is a wide range of sizes but they also come with a hollow mating part which has quite a sharp edge but rather roughly formed inside and again not hardened.

I think they will still work as doming punches after I clean them up (they are covered in a horrible oil that I think is organic based as it smells completely rancid and disgusting, still it seems to have kept the rust off)

Attachments

• DSCF4795.JPG
    DSCF4795.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,216
  • DSCF4794.JPG
    DSCF4794.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 1,216
screwpainting":2nefwj7m said:
For fixing brass eyelets in fabric perhaps?

I don't think they would work for that, the edges are too sharp on the hollow part. Also there is a huge range of sizes (the pic is just an example. Biggest is probably 12mm or more, smallest maybe only 2mm.

I have never used doming punches so I don't know whether they are always hardened, but I found these pictures in a 1932 catalogue of engineering supplies, from E Gray & Son Ltd, Clerkenwell Rd, London. It says that doming punches were also available in boxwood - which maybe suggests that hardness was not always essential?

It shows "cutting punches" alongside doming punches, which look pretty similar to the things you have. Presumably a disc of soft metal could have been cut with one of these, then shaped with a doming punch. So they would maybe be used alongside the doming punches, but in a separate step.

punches_cutters.jpg

Attachments

• punches_cutters.jpg
    punches_cutters.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 899
Ahh now that illustration looks right!

I still think they are poorly designed since I am sure the metal would get jammed in there but that does seem to be the right item. Thanks for your help!

Back