What might this be ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been clearing out my Dads old shed and in amongst the treasure I came across this - whatever this is ... any idea's ?

It is about 10" long made of Oak and tin plate.

It slides along itself and seems to be some kind of threading tool.

Merlin

Attachments

• dunno 2.JPG
    dunno 2.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 949
  • dunno 1.JPG
    dunno 1.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 949
  • dunno.JPG
    dunno.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 949
  • dunno 3.JPG
    dunno 3.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 949
I've no idea, so I like it!

The hole in the pointy end and the screw eye suggest that some sort of cord is threaded through. Cord suggests nets but an image search for "net making tools" doesn't yield anything like it.

Can we have a close up of the point and confirmation that it doesn't have sharp edges?

Well done chaps I knew I could rely on you.

Fascinating stuff - I thought Andy might like it, as far as my Dad and rugs I would say not but must have been another old member of the family.

Thanks all.

Merlin

Interestingly, that makes 3 versions of this tool we've seen on this forum.

This implies that quite a lot of rugs were being made in this way, providing a competitive market for these tools.

BugBear

Looking closer at the pictures, I wonder if Merlin's dad's rug tool was a home made copy? It looks a bit more rustic than the commercial offering.

If so, it's a monument to thriftiness!

AndyT":2adpszy9 said:
Looking closer at the pictures, I wonder if Merlin's dad's rug tool was a home made copy? It looks a bit more rustic than the commercial offering.

If so, it's a monument to thriftiness!

I've seen lots of these and they've all looked a lot
like the Merlin's photo. The one in the old thread is similar.

I've never seen one IRL as finely finished as the one in your link.

BugBear

Back