Thickness of tenons on buttons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My Christmas project (a computer desk) has dragged on a bit longer than planned but the end may be in sight. The next job is the buttons holding the top to the rails. The top is about 1" thick. Is there any particular recommendation for the thickness of the tenons of the buttons? I'm guessing that anything thinner than 1/4" might be too weak. Is there a rule of thumb for this? All components are of cherry.

The Barnsley Workshops use a particularly elegant style of button,

Tiger-Oak-Table-3.jpg

This button style has been widely adopted by furniture makers and they're not that much extra work if you batch them out,

Barnsley-Buttons.jpg

Anyhow, the originals use a 1/4" tenon thickness, so 6.4mm. I know some makers cut button mortices with a Domino, 6mm for small furniture, 8mm for large, and then size the button tenons 0.1mm less and place the tenon 0.1-0.2mm lower than the mortice.

Good luck with your computer table!

Attachments

• Tiger-Oak-Table-3.jpg
    Tiger-Oak-Table-3.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 914
  • Barnsley-Buttons.jpg
    Barnsley-Buttons.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 914
custard":13eewdv6 said:
The Barnsley Workshops use a particularly elegant style of button,

Maybe I have misunderstood this, but are you using buttons and corner blocks screwed to the underside of the top there? Do the corner blocks restrain the top enough to risk splitting?

Very good looking blocks though.

Biliphuster":30u4nzch said:
are you using buttons and corner blocks screwed to the underside of the top there? Do the corner blocks restrain the top enough to risk splitting?

Well spotted, and my mistake for not explaining. There's a small gap between the corner block and the top, plus the clearance hole is countersunk on both sides. Net result the screw effectively holds down the top but pivots enough to accommodate shrinkage.

Back