Chuck identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malindy

Reaction score
I am new to woodturning and have just purchased a Teknatool TL1000.
It came with various attachments including this chuck.
The jaws are tightened by screwing in the threaded rim.
Can anyone help me identify it and provide any information about it.

Thanking you

Richard

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 937
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 937
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 937
I've not come across that one before thus I suspect that it may be of New Zealand or Australian origin.
A lot of the engineering & ideas that are now common in wood turning were pioneered in that part of the world.

I tried doing a google image search on this for a description and visually similar images.

The description came up as 'auto part' (for the last image) and 'rotor' (for the first image) .. and of the visually similar images, none were lathe type chucks

Looking at the second image it seems as if the sockets for the bolts are big enough for the bolts to be moved in or out to allow for varying diameter pieces. It seems to me, albeit in my very limited experience, that is a pretty unusual feature.

My guess is that its a handmade (/'bodged') piece that works as a chuck (perhaps from a rotor housing?) with perhaps some bought jaws. Not sure my guess is going to help you ... but it's an unusual chuck for sure!

Thank you for the ideas. No one at the club has any ideas - it's a strange one. The dovetail jaws are similar to Axminster ones.

Certainly not something I've ever seen, but it's a bit like a development of the original Hattersley and Davidson 6 in 1 chuck, made to grip in contracting rather than expanding mode. Presumably the screws on the back have to be just tight enough for the jaws to move, but not so slack as to allow slop.
Intriguing.

This is the helpful reply I received from Jim on woodworkforums

"That is a Teknatool chuck, I forget the name it was sold under. It was designed for turning bowls from green timber and had bronze instead of steel jaws. Steel reacts with tanin in wood and produces deep black stains. The four bronze jaws pivoted and each "jaw" had two contact points. The jaws pivoted to compensate for the bowl not being round after the timber dried. The chuck operates in both compression (for spiggots) or expansion to fit into a recess in the hole in the bottom of the bowl. It was supplied with two "C" spanners for tightening the chrome ring on the front of the chuck and also the locking nut at the back on the insert. It was a very good chuck but you needed an extra pair of hands to fit the dried bowl and use the spanners. It was also supplied with a screw chuck. I have one and used it a lot. That chuck has been superceded by the now popular scroll chuck. Must have a look and see if I can find it, it is somewhere in the shed."

Back