Bathroom cabinet building, what materials?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot stuff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi again all.

I'm building a cabinet in a bathroom to house a basin and concealed cistern etc. and wondered what you'd recommend for the carcass? Moisture resistant something I'd have thought but I'm not familiar with sheet material of that sort, hence the question.
It's a rented out property so it would need to be as hardy as possible, so I thought ply of some sort?

Thanks in advance.

MRMDF and edge banding for cheap, marine grade ply and edge banding for expensive. both will need protecting inside and out.

Anyone tried tropical hardwoods (teak and the like) in bathrooms? If it can survive as the deck on a ship, would it cope with my damp bathroom? Or an expensive fail?

Birch ply. Used this on our bathrooms with a good few coats of acrylic varnish and they still look perfect after 6 years. No need to edge either.

A very cheap and effective alternative to conventional cabinetry - 3x2 frame fixed to wall and kitchen worktop for the top and front.

Kitchen worktop:

- can cost as little as £40 for a 3m (28mm thick) length, more than enough for the average bathroom
- has a laminated wipe clean surface faairly impervious to damage
- is stromg enough to hang both basin and WC for a clean design
- allows all plumbing and cistern to be hidden

In the shower room I have plumbed in the shower pump behind the cabinet with an access panel for stop puffins etc. If bits of worktop need to be joined due to overall dimensions I have simply used aluminium T extrusions which could be painted if required

Terry

I built this out of MRMDF.

It's perfect

4c20f47c99787b3ec3c9ca9956c4614a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoStu":3c978uua said:

It's perfect

Is that kitchen worktop what the basin is sitting on?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DiscoStu":1b09r0z2 said:

It's perfect

Whats the frame built out of? Seem like a fair amount of weight for MDF

Beware, moisture resistand mdf isn't quite waterproof, have seen a few instances where it has gone a bit soggy but for a cabinet largely out of the way of water probably be fine. The moisture resistance is so paint doesn't lift the little hairy bits when painted. (from water/solvents evaporating)

The hardy as possible solution would be solid iroko imo, fairly posh place to rent out for that though!

Back