Record variable speed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themackay

Established Member
Reaction score
Having problems with erratic control on variable speed was going to try replacing the POT first as being the cheapest option any one had experience of this problem and eventual solution

After a post Chas made (I paraphrase here) about single phase power supply not sitting too well with variable speed control, I was a bit puzzled so I had a chat with the folk at Record.

For my lathe (dml320) they confirmed it obviously was single phase with variable control and a brushless motor. The advice they gave was twofold :

1. Start at low speed and only move up slowly ... the speed control doesmt like the loading of having to power up fast (obviously, again, I'm paraphrasing with my interpretation...but I got the sense of ..just be a bit careful when you turn the speed up ..dont whack it up from off straight to max etc)

2. Give the motor a chance to cool down for say 20mins or so every hour or two. (at low speed obviously there are going to need to be energy losses in the form, mostly, of heat. given how we can all, I guess, quite happily turn for a few hours, that might risk a heat build up etc)

All my interpretation...but kinda makes sense to me.

Not sure it helps resolve any particular problem you may have right now ...but probably worth knowing for any folk who didnt already.

hope you get a practical solution from someone!

Hi Deejay it will be the older version will get a picture tonight,phoned Record £20 plus postage for a new pot thought that was a bit steep.

Hello again

It does seem a bit pricey, but they deal in tools and machinery.

Open it up and have a look at it. When you know the spec., try CPC. Free postage on orders over £5 (Ex VAT)

Cheers

Dave

Keithie":2ryswi49 said:
The advice they gave was twofold :

1. Start at low speed and only move up slowly ... the speed control doesmt like the loading of having to power up fast (obviously, again, I'm paraphrasing with my interpretation...but I got the sense of ..just be a bit careful when you turn the speed up ..dont whack it up from off straight to max etc)

2. Give the motor a chance to cool down for say 20mins or so every hour or two. (at low speed obviously there are going to need to be energy losses in the form, mostly, of heat. given how we can all, I guess, quite happily turn for a few hours, that might risk a heat build up etc)

1. Sounds like they are talking out of their tailstock ;) The speed controller should be set up to limit the acceleration / deceleration rate to what it can cope with.

2. As hobby machines, the lathes are not rated for continuous use so they tell you not to use them continuously!

Neither of the above advice has anything to do with the problem with the erratic speed, which does sound very likely to be a faulty potentiometer. Try cleaning it out with a vacuum cleaner / airline and if that doesn't work, replace it with a better quality sealed version.

themackay":2wj1at7w said:
Has anyone one got a link to suitable replacement pots they have used

As a temporary 'fix' assuming the pot is of a sensible design where you can access the innards, (might not be knowing modern manufacturing methods) try rubbing over the carbon track with a soft 2B carbon pencil. Won't last long but might prove the diagnosis.

Note of Caution:- Did you say this was in your club, not a personal machine ? you might need to be conscious of the liability factors if you 'repair' it.

Do you have a picture of the pot?

In my job as a guitar technician before I retired I dealt with noisy potentiometers on a daily basis. If the pot is an open type, ie there's acess to the innards via a gap where the solder lugs exit the body, you can fix it, albeit temporarily, by spraying contact cleaner in there and then rotating the pot through its whole travel ten times or so. In fact rotating the pot vigorously will often clean it even without the cleaner spray.

Having said that, I'd expect an industrial machine to have a sealed pot which, unless you can disassemble it, will need replacing. If it has a carbon track you might consider replacing it with a sealed pot with a wirewound track (from Bourns for example) - a much more robust solution for this type of application.

You can buy an aerosol can of contact cleaner from places like Maplins.

Morning all

Paul

As hobby machines, the lathes are not rated for continuous use so they tell you not to use them continuously!

RP may not have been referring to the CL3/4 machine. The spec. for the variable speed kit says

Cont. rating 380 / 415v 3 phase 50 Hz.

The manual for the CL4 recommends using a fan to force cooling air through the motor if it's running at low speed , (below number 3) for more than 30 minutes.

Selectortone's idea of turning it up and down a few times is worth a try. cPC sell Servisol track cleaner ...

http://cpc.farnell.com/servisol/1000013 ... nsku=false

I've just had a look inside my unit and the pot RP fitted as a replacement is marked

CITEC

TW 1W

10k +/- 10 %

CPC have this one ...

http://cpc.farnell.com/ab-elektronik/ab ... dp/RE04644

and Farnell have ...

http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity-c ... nsku=false

They both have linear tracks.

Cheers

Dave

pot1.jpg
url]

Attachments

• pot1.jpg
    pot1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,579
pot2.jpg

Had a look today it is on a CL4
Strangly enough it was not behaving to bad today

Attachments

• pot2.jpg
    pot2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,574
file.php

That is an unsealed pot which will respond to some contact cleaner spray. I'm surprised it's fitted to something in as dusty an environment as a lathe. It is almost bound to fail eventually - even in an IP65 enclosure IMHO. If it was mine I'd replace it with a sealed wirewound pot.

B10K = 10k ohm linear potentiometer.

It's not in a dusty environment. It's inside a metal case with a sealing gasket which is not intended to be opened in normal use.

andygc":2676idpl said:
It's not in a dusty environment. It's inside a metal case with a sealing gasket which is not intended to be opened in normal use.

Yes, I appreciate that, that's why I mentioned the IP65 rating of the enclosure.

However, if you ever open that enclosure in situ that's it - the dust is in there. Very fine dust will also find its way down the shaft of an unsealed pot and thence onto the wiper and track.

Before I became a guitar repairman I worked for several years in the test department of a company manufacturing control systems for aerospace and the military. I understand why the manufacturer uses that type of pot - they are spending pennies instead of pounds. But, in my opinion, that pot is not really 100% fit for purpose in an industrial machine, whether in a sealed enclosure or not. It's just too flimsy. There are reports on this board and elsewhere of them failing.

Treat it gently, regularly brush away the buildup of dust behind the knob, and it will probably be OK if you resist the temptation to open the box and have a look at what is in there. (Who can resist that temptation? :wink: ) But for the few quid it would take to replace it with an industrial grade component, I know what I would do.

Latest posts

Back