Can anyone identify this brace?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
Picked it up for a fiver. It has no marks except that it is made in England.

u88G19O.jpg

roi5PP8.jpg

Thanks!

Hi Bart,
Using the circles on the head, the two grooves round the ends of the handle, the profile of the chuck shell and the shape of the connection of the chuck to the frame as a guide, I've got a J A Chapman, J Tyzack and Son and a James Howarth all of Sheffield. These are all small 6inch sweep braces. An 8" with the same markings on the wood but a differing chuck is marked Rob't Sorby Sheffield. I think this one is definitely made by James Chapman because it has Chapmans registered No 239718 and the nonagonal chuck shell.
At the risk of getting into a punch up, I'd put my money on all these four being by James A Chapman of Sheffield as I think yours probably is as well.
I hope this is of help and interest to you and may provoke some conversation on the subject of J A Chapman, my favourite UK manufacturer.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Edit: I seem to be able to see part of the word England on the rear frame of your brace. I've been to my shed and checked, none of my Chapman's or look-a-likes have England written there. They either have BRITISH JAC MADE or STEEL 10IN (8,6 etc). On the chuck shell they have Sheffield. England. Perforates my above theory as to the origin of your example a bit.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Thanks Geoff! Really useful (even if we're still guessing about the origin). I forgot to add in my original post that it's a 10 inch brace if that's of any use.

Thanks again.

I have a 7 in Chapman brace that looks very similar, including those distinctive rings on the handle and head. It does not mention the registered design model, but "manufactured by J A Chapman Sheffield - England" is marked on the chuck, and "steel 7in" on the frame.

I did do a bit of research in to Chapman when I got my brace, but I could not find much in addition to what is I think fairly well known - namely that James Chapman was a manufacturer of "American Pattern Braces" with a factory called Industry Works in Woodside Lane, Sheffield and that the firm was taken over by Stanley in 1936/1937 so they could begin manufacturing in England.

Stanley's move was perhaps in response to punitive import taxes (10% on most goods in the 1930s) and due to competition from local firm, C&J Hampton (of Record fame) who were able to start copying Stanley's bailey planes after Stanley's patents expired at the start of the decade.

There is a rather poignant set of pics of the now abandoned factory here - my favourite pic is of Stanley's map of the world where the UK has apparently fallen off:

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/stanley-tools-sheffield-june-2012.t71769

From the 1871 census it seems James Arscott Chapman was 43 and is living with his family in Woodstock Lane. His occupation is described as Engineers Tool Maker, and although it is hard to read it appears to say 'employing 4 boys'. He appears again in the census for the last time in 1891 and seems to have died later that year.

I also requested a copy for the design registration, hoping I would get a copy of the drawing for the design registered, but disappointingly I only got a copy of the record itself. I think the design is for the grip on the chuck - what do you say, Geoff?

If I am right about the records then the design was registered by his son.

brace:

JH9FBHpo6bFdfk8QYkF0cXQhwbu_ofepxOIYrAYzjU3xKw948JoHmg

Census 1871:

DMSP00rxeKaeZloKyLiFfNqhr24V-AVyQ8bOk39MuF07r_knX6Rh8Q

Census 1891:

M2oTVkRMSq8tRqtpTL09dVbxzfI_jXB517T_fNWPOFyumIVVZASkdg

births marriages and deaths 1891:

pIGFoCl7A3BCOcjHkYgFCpu_dox7jaYwu8OyFMpUkg-V0_PFLKjmXw

design registration:
i46f1FKokeCz0yWpwBq6UVZNkC7uK3n44A-hDJCOKhCC7V-yqYwFVw

Wow thank you for such a detailed reply. Really interesting, especially the photos of the factory. I haven't received the brace yet, just going on what info the seller gave to me. When it arrives I'll post up any more clues it may have as to its origin.

Thanks again.

Nick thanks for the info, that's about as far as I've got. The only braces I've seen with the No 239718 on are the chuck shells with nine facets. I have somewhere that James jr also registered the entwined JAC trademark and I was thinking about the same time, 1894.
There must have been thousands of Chapman braces exported to Aus' because they turn up frequently at markets etc.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Back