C.H. Joyce Drill Press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
This drill has a brass plate marked: " C.H. Joyce, Engineers Tools, London S.E." - I thing that may be the name of the distributor rather than the manufacturer. I plan to buy new belts for it and get it working, driven by an electric motor, I am puzzled by the belt tensioning arrangement. It looks like if the top belt is tightened the bottom belt will go slack. Please can anyone give an explanation?

Attachments

• IMG_0483A.JPG
    IMG_0483A.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 1,382
  • IMG_0485A.JPG
    IMG_0485A.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 1,382
  • IMG_0487A.JPG
    IMG_0487A.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 1,382
I'd suspect that the shaft is concentric to the mount so as you turn the adjuster it pushes to one side or the other to tighten both belts rather than up. there is a float in the shaft to account for difference in belt length which I think you maybe confusing for a tensioning slide. or I could be very wrong and there's a idler somewhere which moves too. :)

Can't help sorry, but that's a lovely old tool. Will you do a thread as you go? (please?) I'm sure it would generate a lot of interest. =D>

Thanks for your replies.

novocaine":3vq71phq said:
I'd suspect that the shaft is concentric to the mount so as you turn the adjuster it pushes to one side or the other to tighten both belts rather than up. there is a float in the shaft to account for difference in belt length which I think you maybe confusing for a tensioning slide. or I could be very wrong and there's a idler somewhere which moves too. :)
Turning the lever slackens the mounting of the pulley axle, allowing it to move up and down only. There is no sideways movement and no sign of a mounting place for a jockey wheel.

Bm101":3vq71phq said:
Can't help sorry, but that's a lovely old tool. Will you do a thread as you go? (please?) I'm sure it would generate a lot of interest. =D>
OK - will do. It may take a while .....

Limey Lurker":3vq71phq said:
Can you tell me the amount of travel on the chuck, please?
3 1/2" up/down.

Attachments

• IMG_4813C.jpg
    IMG_4813C.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 1,302
I see that now on closer inspection. my apologies. the other option is that you tension the top belt then make the lower belt to suit, is the belt length the same over all 3 speeds? (i.e the top and bottom pullies are the same only inverted).
you'll need to run the top belt relatively slack anyway to allow for the twist.

I don't think these belts are designed to run tight and I guess sliding it to allow for easier belt replacement?

Not sure, nice project though!

S

Well, I got it to work. I made the new flat belts as short as I dared and mounted the motor on a hinged platform so that the v-belt can be tensioned and swapped between pulleys. For the flat belts the required length is indeed the same over all three speeds and it is possible to get enough slack to change speed by loosening the central shaft using the lever. It is possible to obtain the following speeds: 146, 211, 292, 422, 583 & 843 rpm. Not exactly in line with modern notions of HSE but it runs with an impressive whirring and clanking sound :)

Attachments

• IMG_5056C.jpg
    IMG_5056C.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 1,072
  • IMG_5064C.jpg
    IMG_5064C.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 1,072
  • IMG_5059C.jpg
    IMG_5059C.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 1,072
  • IMG_5060C.jpg
    IMG_5060C.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 1,072
  • IMG_5057C.jpg
    IMG_5057C.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 1,072
That's an impressive looking drill =D>

The speed range is reassuring slow too; I think that many drills (particularly modern ones) are geared too fast. I have the same type of belt on my treadle lathe (balata?) and I've found that it stretches if left under tension. I slip the belt off the pulley now when I'm not using it.

With regards to the exposed belts, my old ML4 lathe and my BCA both have exposed belts. I've always felt that the exposed belt keeps me on my guard, whereas enclosed belts can lead to complacency.

Your Super 7 looks rather tidy too 8)

Back