Wood Turning Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see the point of using them as practice, but I can't see why anyone would bother to go back over them. I can see the reason for having length if the tool was a 3/4" or 1" bowl gouge, but I find some of these handles too long. What's average? I don't know, it's not something I've really though about - I assume it must be as the major manufacturers supply them?

phil.p":9szmouk9 said:
I can see the point of using them as practice, but I can't see why anyone would bother to go back over them. I can see the reason for having length if the tool was a 3/4" or 1" bowl gouge, but I find some of these handles too long. What's average? I don't know, it's not something I've really though about - I assume it must be as the major manufacturers supply them?

Horses for courses really. Roughing down a log the decent leverage is needed, finishing foot them obviously less of a deal. I use a HT 5/8" HS1 bowl gouge for most tasks and just vary the length to the job. Simples!

S

Looks like i might be making my own chuck,i like the longworth chuck,i will be having a go at making one,very interesting,just a small one 10" or so,

CRAFTY":mt3i2at5 said:
Looks like i might be making my own chuck,i like the longworth chuck,i will be having a go at making one,very interesting,just a small one 10" or so,

Crafty, I'm not sure if you meant to put this here or in your "chuck" thread. :D

In case you're unaware, the Longworth chuck isn't intended for initial lathe work but for reversing the work to turn the foot. You can only take light cuts when using it. Even then it's still worth supporting the work with the tailstock for as long as you can.

woodpig":3fb41ukx said:
CRAFTY":3fb41ukx said:

Crafty, I'm not sure if you meant to put this here or in your "chuck" thread. :D

In case you're unaware, the Longworth chuck isn't intended for initial lathe work but for reversing the work to turn the foot. You can only take light cuts when using it. Even then it's still worth supporting the work with the tailstock for as long as you can.
yeh good spotting,should be in other thread,ahh well,i would like to try make one even just for the fun of it,to improve my router skills,and would be nice to have for when i start turning nice size bowls.

They are cheap and easy enough to make although mine doesn't seem to close as accurately on the work as well as when I first made it. I've gone over to using button jaws on my SC4.

SVB":17w16hgb said:
"I'm out" as they say on Dragon's Den!

Simon
](*,)
is that someone tryna get in to your house coz your out,haha,only joke'n,i don't blame ya,but thanks for you help all the same,cheers.

Latest posts

Back