2017- more of the same I suspect

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Still cleaning up remnants of 2016, some reduction of the woodpile must have taken place but not so you would notice, going to be much of the same in 2017 I think.

Ash & Sapele.
DSCN5690.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5690.JPG
    DSCN5690.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 4,439
Lovely. Is the central bit laminated with top and tail glued on, or have you done that with indexed inlays?

Central portions are segmented and hollowed to about 3mm wall thickness, top and bottom tenoned in, partially counter bored to reduce weight.

What you stocking up for next Christmas Chas :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A good start to the year I have just taken some bits out of the wood pile to sit in the house for a few days before turning.

Dalboy":2gbhtcji said:
What you stocking up for next Christmas Chas :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

Was a thought Derek, but Orders is Orders, been informed I can do a few each month as long as they are suitable for presents in gift sets. :roll: never know there may be some spares if I'm lucky.

I've got to get some logs sorted for a friend who wants some bowls before Easter, the way the years are flying by I could do with more than an extra second to catch up with requests and local chores.

Chas,

Not sure where you are in Cotswolds but my memory is somewhere within striking distance from Stroud are, reason for asking, do you participate in the 'open studio' art / craft event in the summer? I was wondering about a UKWS offering?

S

CHJ":1bjft4s8 said:
Dalboy":1bjft4s8 said:
What you stocking up for next Christmas Chas :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

Was a thought Derek, but Orders is Orders, been informed I can do a few each month as long as they are suitable for presents in gift sets. :roll: never know there may be some spares if I'm lucky.

I've got to get some logs sorted for a friend who wants some bowls before Easter, the way the years are flying by I could do with more than an extra second to catch up with requests and local chores.

I also have orders for next year especially the bird houses

SVB":107j4x91 said:
Very nice, you have more patience than me!

Something I don't have a lot of myself Simon, I reduce the fiddle factor by doing various stages in batches.
I don't go looking for too specific wood stock, just something that might do.
Bandsaw and thickness cleanup, chop into bits, segment etc. to suit prepared stock yield, glue up a days bits if needed.
Prepare whatever looks like it might be useful, cut stock into even squared blanks or cylinders to make for easy chuck mounting in future if I've got an hour with no particular purpose in mind.

This way whether gluing, trueing turning, boring out centres I only have one setup on the lathe and a couple of tools out at a time.
End up with boxes of part prepared bits and have a session when conscience says I must get rid of some of it.

That way several items can get finished in short order without constantly changing setup.

SVB":1wgtadhh said:
Chas,

Not sure where you are in Cotswolds but my memory is somewhere within striking distance from Stroud are, reason for asking, do you participate in the 'open studio' art / craft event in the summer? I was wondering about a UKWS offering?

S

Regularly traverse the W Simon.

Always a good event when they can be arranged Simon, don't know if my turning skills would be a good example for others though and public consumption.
The First ever UKW Turning bash was held at my place in May 2007.

Several subsequent ones were held in B'ham at Paul.J's as he had more room and better convenience of access for more members.

My workshop facilities are crude to say the least both in accommodation and home made or modified equipment.
Spare funds have been spent on foreign travel and other pursuits rather than shiny tools.

Did start getting silly when folks started talking about public liability insurance and whether equipment was PAT tested.

They are very nice, Chas. I love the colour contrast and the shapes.

Some hopes of reducing the wood pile when this gets dumped on the drive after dark to be found this morning.

As always it won't fit under the Bandsaw, and I can't move it by other than rolling it anyway, looks like the chainsaw and wedges will have to be got out of hibernation.

Judging by the low yield I'm getting from stocks put in drying mode a couple of years ago I think I'll have to try and slab this lot.

To be fair we did get a mention of some bits of Yew a few days ago when they had time to shift it, but it did not reduce the invectives and expletives this morning.

Largest is 550mm max dia X 350mm long.

yew.jpg

Attachments

• yew.jpg
    yew.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 4,081
You must have a lot of Elves working throughout the year keep dropping pieces off like this. They look like some nice pieces of wood I am sure something very nice will come out of them.

Made a start on some bits required by April.
The bulk are requested to be in Yew, hope I have enough CA to keep it all together.

Yew, 157mm dia.
DSCN5734.JPG
DSCN5735.JPG
DSCN5741.JPG

Yew, 160mm dia.
DSCN5736.JPG
DSCN5737.JPG

Yew, 165mm dia.
DSCN5738.JPG
DSCN5739.JPG
DSCN5740.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5734.JPG
    DSCN5734.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 3,948
  • DSCN5735.JPG
    DSCN5735.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 3,948
  • DSCN5741.JPG
    DSCN5741.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 3,948
  • DSCN5736.JPG
    DSCN5736.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 3,949
  • DSCN5737.JPG
    DSCN5737.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 3,948
  • DSCN5738.JPG
    DSCN5738.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 3,950
  • DSCN5739.JPG
    DSCN5739.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 3,948
  • DSCN5740.JPG
    DSCN5740.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 3,965
Dalboy":2av1ukxk said:
Love those with all of the imperfections in the wood just adds character to some very well turned pieces.

I hope the owner of the wood feels the same way Derek, been drying this wood for over two years and despite all the efforts the shakes abound, I've just stopped worrying about them now as long as they hold together on the lathe, does mean that a lot of the pieces are going to be less than ideal on the visible defects front but it's a case of take them as they come or put the wood on the fire.

Yew 143mm dia.
DSCN5743.JPG
DSCN5742.JPG
DSCN5744.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5743.JPG
    DSCN5743.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 1,485
  • DSCN5742.JPG
    DSCN5742.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,503
  • DSCN5744.JPG
    DSCN5744.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,486
selectortone":d0389d18 said:
..... Did you need to keep the bark on with thin CA glue along the join?

Essentially only in a couple of small areas but because of that, a precautionary dose was applied along the rest.

The biggest problem with the piece was that the log core goes right through the foot, not ideal, and by the tenants of good practice should have been removed *, and a subsequently shallower bowl turned but owner of wood wants them warts and all; therefore as long as it looks as if it's going to stick together it stays.

*Always a personal dilemma, turn the hunk of wood into something that meets the more aesthetic principles of style and form or just produce something the recipient is happy to enthuse over.

Latest posts

Back