End grain cutting board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
Seen a few of these on youtube so thought I would make one,,,,with offcuts, all hardwood, finished with mineral oil and a final coat of mineral oil mixed with bees wax, rubber feet fixed with stainless screws, these stop it from moving and also allows air to circulate underneath. Dimensions are 400 mm x 270 mm x 45 mm

Guess what everyone's getting for Crimble this year.

Andy

Chaos board 4.JPG

Chaos board 3.JPG

Chaos board 2.JPG

Chaos board 1.JPG

Attachments

• Chaos board 4.JPG
    Chaos board 4.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 1,435
  • Chaos board 3.JPG
    Chaos board 3.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 1,435
  • Chaos board 2.JPG
    Chaos board 2.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,431
  • Chaos board 1.JPG
    Chaos board 1.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 1,431
That's great! Did you build it with sacrificial edge pieces then put it through the planer thicknesser? If you didn't plan the pattern it's turned out great.

F.

It was done in three sections, ie some strips glued together in any order then a second batch in any order then a third, each batch a different thickness but the same width (300 mm) Each of these were then cut into 50mm sections and the sections mixed up and re-glued on end to give the crazy pattern, it is too wide to go through my planer so I built a jig for my router to do the finish planing.

Andy

I made one of those that mysteriously disappeared. Must have got lost in the house move says she. Imagine my surprise when we visited her daughter, who lives miles away and saw it on her kitchen worktop. "Well i didn't like it and didn't want to say" was her way of an apology. It's getting used though i suppose.

skipdiver":ngal58l7 said:
I made one of those that mysteriously disappeared. Must have got lost in the house move says she. Imagine my surprise when we visited her daughter, who lives miles away and saw it on her kitchen worktop. "Well i didn't like it and didn't want to say" was her way of an apology. It's getting used though i suppose.

Obviously doesn't know quality when she sees it :lol:

Andy

Very nice! Out of curiosity did you prepare the end grain faces with a planer thicknesser and if so how did you get on?

im embarking on the same thing.After watching youtube videos i thought i would give it a go

here was my first attempt, oak and black walnut. needs a bit more sanding. I didnt take any measurements just cut the strips. but i was well pleased
1479762330507.jpg

my first ever woodworking project

Attachments

• 1479762330507.jpg
    1479762330507.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,088
pete1234":bbnuss73 said:
im embarking on the same thing.After watching youtube videos i thought i would give it a go

here was my first attempt, oak and black walnut. needs a bit more sanding. I didnt take any measurements just cut the strips. but i was well pleased
View attachment 1479762330507

Pretty good for your first ever project. You do know that you will now be hooked don't you?

katellwood":2o5g3fjv said:
Nice job

Mineral oil seems to be an all encompassing phrase

Can you tell me what you actually used, brand etc

TIA
i bought mine from lincsproducts. im not allowed to post the link

then for final finishing made a 4:1 mixtue of mineral oil to beeswax

skipdiver":2zku0kov said:
pete1234":2zku0kov said:

View attachment 1479762330507

Pretty good for your first ever project. You do know that you will now be hooked don't you?

Like Andy said, I now have production line in progress for Xmas presents. I will start my own thread with some pics :D

memzey":9hjfl1fy said:
Very nice! Out of curiosity did you prepare the end grain faces with a planer thicknesser and if so how did you get on?

It's too wide to go through my thicknesser so I made a jig for the router to skim the end grain, it's a bit out of focus but you will get the general idea.

Andy

Jig.jpg

Attachments

• Jig.jpg
    Jig.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 359

Latest posts

Back