Which 150mm sanding disc?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbob1

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Record BDS150 belt/disc sander and have been using toolstation 150mm adhesive discs 120 grit and they seem to not last very long before they become a polisher instead of a sander so is this the nature of the beast or can you get better sanding discs which last longer. I use the sander mainly for squaring pen blanks and taking them down to the brass tubes maybe I should use 80 grit.?

I have a Charnwood one, the best upgrade you can do is fit a velcro backer and do away with all that sticky nonsense. I uise Mirka discs on mine and they are excellent.

If you want speed and efficiency then use velcro, if you want maximum accuracy and are willing to put up with a giant faff with a hot air gun when changing discs then use self adhesive. Velcro dubs over the edges when squaring stuff off, with care and skill you can minimise the effect, but you can't remove it completely.

You should be okay with 120 grit provided you clean them regularly with something like this,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/11207473 ... 931&crdt=0

Sounds like you should spend a bit more on better quality discs.

Good luck!

+1 for a belt cleaner, although I use a £1 tube of 'gone off' silicone sealant on mine now (couldn't afford a new belt cleaner at the time) and it seems to do the job just as well.

I use Mirca Abranet, which seem to last for ever. More expensive, but, IMO, when considering how much longer they last it's the best value option.

NazNomad":2f39ge28 said:
I have a Charnwood one, the best upgrade you can do is fit a velcro backer and do away with all that sticky nonsense. I uise Mirka discs on mine and they are excellent.

What velcro backer do you use please?

custard":28p37cgw said:
If you want speed and efficiency then use velcro, if you want maximum accuracy and are willing to put up with a giant faff with a hot air gun when changing discs then use self adhesive. Velcro dubs over the edges when squaring stuff off, with care and skill you can minimise the effect, but you can't remove it completely.

You should be okay with 120 grit provided you clean them regularly with something like this,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/11207473 ... 931&crdt=0

Sounds like you should spend a bit more on better quality discs.

Good luck!

Custard, I use "Sticky Stuff Remover" to get rid of the old glue and it works a treat.

Andy

I have the same BDS150 sander but haven't used it much due to house moves/renovations over the last 2 years. Grateful for all the tips here though and, recognising the problems, I would definitely recommend an upgrade to velcro backer and abranet discs.

Cheers guys
Paul

Thank you for all the replies I do use the sander for accurate squaring off and am in the middle of making a jig for the pen blanks also some times use the sander just to do the final touch on mitres so maybe velcro would not be the thing for me even though it would be less trouble. I do have a belt cleaner but stupidly have used it on the belt and not the disc I will have a search to see if Mirka do adhesive discs.

Mirka definitely make 150mm self-adhesive discs and they are readily available, just a matter of shopping around for the cheapest supplier.

Back