WHICH TAP AND DIE SET

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnold9801

Established Member
Reaction score
At last I have finally got around to getting myself a tap and die set for general use.

I have read about the differences with carbon steel and HSS -high speed steel taps and dies, and subsequently feel more inclined to go for the HSS option. I don't want to go more than £100.00. I am learning more about the various choices but at the same time I feel more confused on which set/make to go for. I see thee are lots of options that are a lot less that £100.00 and wonder if these are a good choice?

It's tempting to go for the sets that contain more individual pieces, but there again the quality of the tools my not be as good as well?

This is why I have come to the forum to ask if anyone has been in this situation before regarding which tap and die set to get and what you decided and whether it was the right or wrong decision?

As I have mentioned it is just for general work working with mild steel and aluminium.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Arnold9801

Depends what you want to do - I've just got a set of cheapo aldi metric ones and a nice millers falls tap wrench off the car boot. As I work out what I use most I replace with higher quality items individually.

If you're going for metric, maybe one of these.
https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/cutting ... EN0869980K
I have never used this brand of tooling, but knowing Cromwell I think they'll be pretty decent.

Arc Euro Trade do a very similar set. I haven't bought from these, but my understanding is they're pretty good.
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue ... c---M3-M12

Presto and Dormer make up a lot of mine. Usually bought individually as and when needed over the years, but some cheaper use once only taps are in my box as well and most of those have worked well.

I have this set https://store.snapon.com/Metric-Set-41-pc-Metric-Tap-and-Die-Set-P630632.aspx that I use at work, boy has it saved my backside on a few occasions. Its not cheap but they have all held up to some hard use over the 10 years I have had it, they are all as sharp as the day I got them. I did have an issue with one of the M12 taps (someone snapped it being too rough) and my rep just swapped it for me, no problems. I bought it on a deal at I think £120. Whatever you decide to get make sure you use a lubricant when cutting, I use dedicated cutting oil but normal 3 in 1 oil is better than nothing, also once you are finished using them clean and dry them before putting them away maybe I'm preaching to the converted.

Matt

I just ordered some very cheap HSS spiral taps from China to try out, I'll let you know what I think when they arrive.

Re. Snap-On, I've read more than once recently that their quality has taken a nosedive in recent years. Don't know if that will affect their taps or dies specifically but thought I'd mentioned it if you're considering their set.

ED65":icypta62 said:
Re. Snap-On, I've read more than once recently that their quality has taken a nosedive in recent years. Don't know if that will affect their taps or dies specifically but thought I'd mentioned it if you're considering their set.

As a car technician by trade I have a lot of snap on tools (some old some new) at the last count I had spent over £10,000 with my rep and to be honest I haven't seen the quality drop everyone keeps telling me about. I would never buy any other brand of ratchets, sockets or spanners as they are great and my rep would replace anything with a defect anyway (not that I have used the warranty much).

Matt

Back