Best Disposable Handsaws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owsnap

Established Member
Reaction score
my past 3 disposable handsaws have been the irwin jack ones which sells under £10 , great saws but I think they last me only some 3-4months before they get bent/distorted and you can't cut straight with them anymore. Time to buy another saw and was wondering maybe there is something even better than those?
I'm not interested in the old-school'' proper ancient saws'' or the super expensive ones which you can re-sharpen and off you go again and must keep as an hair-loom pieces, I'm after the disposable ones which you can pick up and go right off the bat and they will be razor sharp and cut like a dream.

What about the Bahco option with disposable blades. A blade is around £7. Handle and blade about £20 but then you keep the handle (and they do left handed) and you can choose from a selection of blades to keep to hand.

I almost never use a handsaw but I might get one of these and some blades to keep handy.

http://www.bahco.com/en/s/handsaw-inter ... -b5-13-fc/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marcros":8i0le5zq said:
i like the spear and jackson predator range, from toolstation and others. http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/produc ... s/woodsaws

I have used the first and second fix versions.

+1.

Have used all three types and they are as good any hard point saws and better than the shark tooth variety which lose their set long before they become dull, but become useless all the same. BAND Q are doing them 2 for a tenner, so best value as well.

Mike.

I use the Bahco a fair amount for general wood butchery and its pretty good. Handle is very solid and comfortable with their good non slip rubber. Beats getting blisters from those nasty shiny hard plastic things. Blade I have has lasted really well too.

Anyone have a direct comparsion between Irwin jack saws VS something else?
I have had a look at the spear&jackson saws at local b&q in past, and just somehow they felt rather ''cheap'' to me.
I just don't want another saw, I need a better saw ;)

Stanly jet cut for me. And the baby Irwin pullsaw is very capable for smaller work

+1 for predator saws I've found they last well, but I doubt there's very much difference between a jack and others, they are all made to a basic requirement.

DiscoStu":3ho2g4cs said:
What about the Bahco option with disposable blades. A blade is around £7. Handle and blade about £20 but then you keep the handle (and they do left handed) and you can choose from a selection of blades to keep to hand.

I almost never use a handsaw but I might get one of these and some blades to keep handy.

That looks good. It's a shame their blades cost as much as other makers' saws.

BugBear

Out of all the saws I have tried the Stanley Fatmax fine finish is one of my favourites; saws fast and doesn't jump around when I start the cut. I always have that very problem with the Spear and Jackson Predator saws, however: it could well be my technique, but no matter how careful I am they refuse to cut where I want them to.

Recently I was forced to buy a new saw as the moronic plasterers used my good Stanley for plasterboard and it rusted, despite knowing I kept three old saws out for them... It's an Irwin with a black Teflon-like coating which prevents the saw binding in the cut. I have used the saw a lot and it's good.

Mark

EDIT with links:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-515244 ... B0015GMJCA

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+To ... Saw/p98321

I use the Bahco 244 because that is what my merchants usually has in stock. Medium cut, so will work with most materials and can usually get them for £7.99. Soon as they start to dull, i bin them and get a new one. Don't have much call for them now i am more workshop based but on balance and being someone who can't be doing with setting and sharpening saws, i am thinking of getting the interchangeable handle ones and a few different blades for the rare times i need one.

bugbear":1dig4ffd said:
DiscoStu":1dig4ffd said:

That looks good. It's a shame their blades cost as much as other makers' saws.

BugBear

Surely with the other saws the cheap plastic handle is the nasty bit and this gives you a great saw but for the same price as a disposable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my experience of them hasn't been good, so I bought an 'ancient' one and learnt how to sharpen it.

Get one of those pack of 10 deals and date the saw when you start using it.

avoid plasterboard, thermalite blocks etc like the plague.

I dont find these hardened point saws stay sharp all the time, its not the cost, more that fact we all tend to keep the old blunt ones and they are the ones that are always 'handy'

When I was doing a lot more, I always had three saws going, one perfect, one good and one for plasterboard, timber that was likely to have nails etc. - when the worst one became too bad to use, I demoted the middle one and bought a new one.

owsnap":2ij2ibhh said:
Anyone have a direct comparsion between Irwin jack saws VS something else?
I've not done a direct comparison of this type of saw but I have three Irwin saws, two bought new and one vintage, and like marcros I've used both the first-fix and second-fix Predator saws and I'd have to say the Spear and Jacksons were a little sharper. Not that the Irwins didn't cut well, but my impression was they didn't cut quite as nicely.

I can directly compare the Predators to a Stanley saw of the same type (same tooth count and exactly the same grind type too) and the Predators definitely have the edge if you'll pardon the pun. I had the Stanley first and when I tried the Predator for the first time it was noticeably faster cutting and seemed to track to the line better.

Back