How to trim a book with a bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrenchIan

Established Member
Reaction score
As it says....

I have acquired several books (paperbacks) which are taller than normal, so don't fit my bookcase. There is plenty of space between the top/bottom edges of the book and the text, so I was thinking that I could cut maybe 1cm off the top and the bottom of the book....

I've tried it with a tablesaw before - not good. I've tried it freehand with a band saw - still not good - it ended up frilly. I'm thinking that if I made a simple clamp, to hold the book just behind the cut line, then fed it freehand past the blade....?

Any comments?

Thanks

The proper tool is a bookmaker's guillotine. Try to find a small artisan book binder in your area and ask if he will trim your books. Shouldn't cost much.

Keith

Most paper suppliers will know of someone who could guillotine it for you.

flh801978":1bykm6v6 said:
There is a blade for bandsaws that is just a knife plain or scalloped
I have a bandsaw set up with one for leather card etc
Ian

Called a band knife I think.

This is a woodworking forum so the obvious answer is that the bookcase is too small/short. So before you butcher your books... build a new one suitable for taller books :)

Timbo.

timbo614":365ut8zz said:
This is a woodworking forum so the obvious answer is that the bookcase is too small/short. So before you butcher your books... build a new one suitable for taller books :)

Timbo.

:D =D> =D> =D>

Excellent.

People, thanks for the suggestions.

@MusicMan, woodpig, Using a commercial printer's guillotine would be best and simplest, but I live in the middle of the french countryside, and there are no places like that nearby.

@ marcros, flh801978, A proper bandsaw blade would do a better job, I'm sure, but it's a once-off exercise, so I'd rather not spend any money.

@ Harbo, No, that's not an option. SWMBO thinks that books on their sides look untidy.

@ timbo614, Touche. Unfortunately, I can't alter th bookcases, they're built to fit the space.

@ MattRoberts, I tried a tablesaw as well, with the same result - frilly edges. So, freehand doesn't work, I guess I'll try again with a simple clamp.

Thanks again for the ideas

The traditional bookbinder's tool for this would be a bookbinder's plough. It looks a bit like a plough plane - a wooden body holds a blade, a fence runs up against a guide to give a straight line. It cuts one or two pages at a time, working its way down the stack of pages. (A paperback book would be very similar to an unbound book.)

I think it would be worth a try with some wood, some clamps, and a very sharp blade - a broad chisel would do. You could devise something as simple or as complicated as you want, but the principle stays the same - have the blade cut a page or two at a time, jigged to move down in a straight line, and work it back and forth till it's done.

AndyT":3tmm5jf0 said:
The traditional bookbinder's tool for this would be a bookbinder's plough. It looks a bit like a plough plane - a wooden body holds a blade, a fence runs up against a guide to give a straight line. It cuts one or two pages at a time, working its way down the stack of pages. (A paperback book would be very similar to an unbound book.)

I think it would be worth a try with some wood, some clamps, and a very sharp blade - a broad chisel would do. You could devise something as simple or as complicated as you want, but the principle stays the same - have the blade cut a page or two at a time, jigged to move down in a straight line, and work it back and forth till it's done.

That would be a really cool project.

(personally, I would try to find a small jobbing printer who could do it, much commoner than bookbinders)

BugBear

I reckon it would work on a table saw, but you will need to make it tightly clamped between 2 pieces of mdf or similar.

its a bit like a chipbreaker if there is no gap the cut is backed up, any slack and you will get 'break out'.

buy a kindle and put ornaments on the shelves :D

Maybe dig out an old hand saw from your barn, grind the teeth off and grind one side to make a sharp edge giving a saw handled knife. Might work.

Failure!

The clamp worked well - I made it out of an old cross-cut sled - but the cutting left a rough edge.

IMG_0327.JPG

Fortunately, it's one of my wife's books, and it could be years before she wants to re-read it, so I think I'm safe.....

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 667
Not quite.

It was clamped (tightly and just behind the cutting line), but only on one side. Though I did take very small cuts - 1mm each time, or so.

Are you going to try again, using a knife?
Have a look at Marcros's links and see how you get on.

Back