Reasonably priced dust mask that won;t fog up my specs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
As the days get colder, the perennial problem of fogged-up specs has returned.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced dust mask that won;t require me to de-mist my glasses every 30 secs?

Much obliged.

p.s. someone suggested a full-face mask, but I'd prefer one that just goes over my nose/mouth

p.p.s. a proper dust extraction system isn't viable in my current workshop

Having tried everything, and being asthmatic and allergic to dust, I found that none of the face form fitting dust masks really worked well for me as they either fog the glasses or are uncomfortable or claustrophobic. So I use an Axminster electric full face mask. Excellent. All day comfortable, zero fogging, effective.

Not sure what types you've tried, but I had the same problem and never got anywhere with those paper masks with the deformable metal strip over the nose. I got one of rubber types from Screwfix, can't remember exactly which model right now, but it has a much better reflected rubber seal and worked well when I was moving all the insulation about in the loft.

Mine is a Scan Maximask 2000, which I think I got from Screwfix. They don't appear to be available now but there are plenty of similar ones around, and on Amazon eg: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MaxiMask-uprat ... B003ZITQ0O.

AJB Temple":1ckyno3u said:
Having tried everything, and being asthmatic and allergic to dust, I found that none of the face form fitting dust masks really worked well for me as they either fog the glasses or are uncomfortable or claustrophobic. So I use an Axminster electric full face mask. Excellent. All day comfortable, zero fogging, effective.

I also have one of these but i suffer neck pain if i wear it too long. That's down to my ongoing back and neck problems though, rather than the weight of the helmet, which is quite light and has the added bonus of offering face and head protection.

skipdiver":37pwaqt7 said:
AJB Temple":37pwaqt7 said:

I also have one of these but i suffer neck pain if i wear it too long. That's down to my ongoing back and neck problems though, rather than the weight of the helmet, which is quite light and has the added bonus of offering face and head protection.

Definitely need the Hazmat suit with that to complete the look...

+1 for the 3M, surprisingly comfortable to use even with glasses on and zero fogging.
If it does fog, it's not fitted correctly.

DaWoodster":2us6g8cw said:
If it does fog, it's not fitted correctly.

+1 to this. If it's fogging up it means your breath is escaping out of the top of your mask and onto your glasses. Equally when you inhale air will be going in the same route i.e. not through your filter, therefore you're breathing in dirty air.

Bolle pilot goggles are designed to fit over spectacles and anti mist coated. They will mist if you dont get a mask that fits right. Spot of fairy liquid rubbed on helps too. I use a trend air ace which directs your breath down. Works well for me at least and I get to look like DarthVader.

Bodgers":ul5xhq7b said:
This 3M one doesn't fog for me:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-4251-maint ... r-p2/13038

I bought it for doing an epoxy floor, and mostly use the small disposable ones for woodworking as they are easier to put on and off.

I've had one of these and while good, you can't change the filtration. I've been using a drager for years now and swap out the dust or p3 filters as needed to prolong time between replacements. Very comfortable to wear for long periods, good seal around the edges, and comes apart for washing too, I also wear glasses a lot and have found it almost never mists my glasses from the mask vent.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/draeger-x-plore-3300-chemical-half-mask-with-filters-p3/39216

MattRoberts":ul5xhq7b said:
I use this along with some p3 filters. Super comfortable, I forget I have it on half the time, which means I wear it more often - a very good thing in my book

RZ Mask M2, Black Mesh, Large (Regular) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QS07CY8/ ... dyb2HSK9GZ

Matt - I can't see where they say they are P3 rated filters - only F3, which is different. If you use chemicals that require P3 - I would recommend a proper mask as I linked.

Infact, I wouldn't use that for more than normal dusty work, if I do anything with a chemical small, even paint stripping I use my proper p3's it's just not worth the longterm exposure.

I bought a 3M 750x series mask (7501 - small size, 7502 = medium etc) from a regular seller on Ebay. It was around £20 although you can buy them at higher prices (!), and I find it really comfortable. The vent points down, so should not fog up specs, and filters are interchangeable for different types of protection. I have a wispy beard so it probably isn't fully effective, but saying that, if I block the vent and breathe in, the rubber mask "collapses" which is usually a sign of a good seal...

Best regards
H

A drop of dish washer liquid let dry then wipe off works well. I have a Dewalt set of anti misting goggles that I did suggest on another thread.

It might be the mask I was using, even though it had a valve the Dewalt started to mist up. Dishwasher liquid works well but is a bit of a fiddle, apparently...... you can use spit too...... yuck.

I have an Axminster electric full face mask too very good but will cost you about £200. I see Axminster have rebadged some other firms one.
If interested might be worth looking to see if other make is cheaper. I believe is exactly same kit, design, the filters might be cheaper than from Axminster.

rafezetter":1rhh3ro6 said:
Matt - I can't see where they say they are P3 rated filters - only F3, which is different. If you use chemicals that require P3 - I would recommend a proper mask as I linked.

Infact, I wouldn't use that for more than normal dusty work, if I do anything with a chemical small, even paint stripping I use my proper p3's it's just not worth the longterm exposure.

Sorry, you're right - I meant F3 filters (purchased separately from the Bay. I only use it for dust, no chemicals :)

I am very pleased with the AirAce mask. Looks like Darth Vader, but does noit steam up my glasses and I can wear it for long periods without any problems as it is comfortablke. Sol;d at Axminster and other places.
Malcolm

GVS Eclipse P3 from screwfix are very comfortable and I've had no problems with fogging of (ESS) safety glasses. Filters are about a tenner to replace. I've tried tons of fabric and paper type ones and found them to be mostly a waste of time.

*used it for several days when boarding out the loft in summer, was bearable.

Don't try washing up liquid (Polly said 'dishwasher liquid' which isn't the same), but anything for crockery usually has glycerine in it - whilst harmless it smears horribly and is very hard to remove (which is why you shouldn't use it as a substitute for car screenwash).

I clean my glasses with the cheapest shampoo I can find (Asda's own-brand usually), and warm water - dollop on each lens, work in gently with a finger then rinse off with warm/hot water and dry whilst warm with loo paper. Works a treat and inhibits fogging a bit (cleaner the better). A smear of shampoo would do what Polly suggests, BUT use cheap stuff as it doesn't have oily additives.

You could go all posh and use the visor anti-fog stuff that motorcyclists use. I've used rain-X in the past, and the Bob Heath sprays (basically detergent, I think). They really work.

HTH,

E.

Back