super glue as a plaster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An old friend of mine used to stick his crowned tooth back on with it, until someone said they thought it might be carcenogenic! I too thought it was developed for treating wounds in the 'Nam, just shows what I know!!

To revive an old thread, I just CA'd a huge crack in my thumb. So far so good.

I am a paramedic and use medical superglue to close wounds on patients...how this differs from normal ca glue i do not know, but is very effective !

I've got a can of that spray on plaster stuff. Only used it once and that was enough; it stung like hell. Been using superglue for years after a band i went to see posted a photo of the bass players finger, which was badly cut but had been glued back together to get him through the gigs. Playing bass every night kept opening up the wound and he could only get through the tour by liberal use of superglue every night. Thought he was taking the mick, so i looked up it's use and was surprised to see he wasn't fibbing. Worked for a double glazing firm at the time and we had it by the boxful in the van, which was handy. I have to buy the stuff now.

Mine was Poundland CA, but as it's endorsed by the Doctor of Dodgy DIY, Tommy Walsh, it must be good for you, right?

:-D :-D

Well, it's still together this morning, I'll test it with a 70m wire fencing job later.

Use it regularly to seal cuts etc but probably the best use is for repairing split nails, keeps it together long enough to grow out. The ladies in the family find this especially useful, it glue the split portion back down, use a fine file to tidy up the join and then they put on some nail varnish, the repair is almost invisible.

esox20":3fhxoxis said:
...how this differs from normal ca glue i do not know, but is very effective !

1.. Non-medical superglues often utilize solvents that are toxic to human tissue, such as methanol, hence the common complaint of "burning" or irritation reported by those who use it on wounds.
2.. The butyl, isobutyl and octyl esters used in medical-grade superglues have been reported to have bacteriostatic properties.
3.. The medical-grade superglues apparently have less of an exothermic reaction, reducing the chances of heat damage to tissue?
4.. Cost. Medical CA is going to be one use per 'tube', whereas the stuff in your shed can be used over and over again. :-D

Back